News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

I thought that the Saxonia enthusiasts in our group might enjoy this little presentation; although to them, it may not be all that unusual. For the rest of us, however, it shows that things are not always as they first appear. :rolleyes:

Some years ago when I first saw the medal shown below, I thought that it was another Saxon St. Henry medal; nice but not particularly exciting.

Sure is a nice medal - let?s take a look at the reverse. :speechless1: Well, what we have here is a silver medal to the Civil Merit Order. As it turns out, an interesting award to me because two were awarded for the war of 1866 and sixty-nine in for the war of 1870-71. :love: Indeed, things are not always as they first appear. :cheers:

Tim Erikson had one of these at the second MAX show I attended for about $400. I looked at it and passed on it! I am still kicking myself. I guess I was not ready at the time - but don't I recall you telling me that you don't like the Saxon items? :rolleyes:

I can not say that I ?don?t like? them. It is more that I try to avoid them. To me Saxonia (the kingdom, Weimar and the duchies) is all so vast that it it represents a field unto itself; and to collect and study it properly, as many do very well, would pretty much necessitate the exclusion of all else. At the same time several pieces have found their way into my collection through their connection with the nineteenth century campaigns or some sort of individual appeal. No, I?m afraid that it is more like, if not careful, I could get to liking them too much.