News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi guys

I picked this up and am trying to find out who the maker is. It is very thin compared to the mid to late war badges. The rivet are messed up but other than that it's a nice badge. Here is a link to more photos on another Forum. http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=198587 Thanks in advance for any help!

David Robertson

Edited by David Robertson

Hello Dave,

Just "picked it up", huh? Well, I believe you hit the jackpot my friend! It certainly appears to me that you are now in possession of the earliest form (1935) of Pilot Badge known made by the Assmann firm. This is the style with the 'egg shaped' wreath. A very scarce bird indeed! A hearty congratulations!!

ERIC :beer:

Thanks for all of the replies and help! I thought the eagle was Assmann but the wreath had me confused. I had not seen one like it before. (now I know!) What kind of value should I put in this bird ??? I like to keep a descent record on my stuff.The wife and Daughters will be lost if I spin out and don't have photos and list of the things I have.

David Robertson

Edited by David Robertson

Hi Guys

I was looking at the link posted here by John and the Para Badge wreath and the one on my pilots badge have the same marks on the back. File marks in the die? So It appears they used the same wreaths for both badges. Were these produced before 1936?

David Robertson

Good morning David

I can only echo the comments made by Eric.

The rivets have been repaired, but to find this early bird in any condition is rare.

The link below will take you to an example of an ?Assmann? Para badge with the same wreath.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10097

You lucky dog!

:cheers:

The wreath is the same Dave. This is the earliest form known. The Para badge was instituted on November 5 1936, so I would say late '36 or early '37. My '1935' was meant to be '1936' - sorry for the confusion.

ERIC

That's awfully big of you to be looking out for your fellow collector. :rolleyes: But I think I will pass :P

David Robertson

quote name='Steve K.' date='Jan 20 2007, 12:41 ' post='141556']

David

No need to put a value on it...just send it my way and I'll keep it safe.

I love the detail of the wing cut-outs from the reverse. Nice score!!

Steve