News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

question - RAF pilot / mention in dispatch

Hello,

Can anyone explain me what a mention in dispatch (registered in the London gazette dd. 1944) does mean for a RAF pilot?

The pilot in question was already a P.O.W. at that time but i am wondering what this does mean?, is it a honour?, medal related?

Thank you in advance,

In typical understated British fashion, it meant something brave or industrious worthy of note but not quite enough for a medal. If the offcier or OR in question had a medal, he got the oakleaf. If not, then he had to be satisfied with a copy of the London Gazette with the relevant Citation: "Lt. Smith of the XXth battalion, the YYY Regiment, distinguished himself in the attack at Guancourt on 5 september, 1916." (or whatever - made that one up!)

Peter

Officially, an action or course of conduct worthy of a mention in an officer's despatches to his superiors

The oakleaf is awarded regardless of other awards held/pending and would be fixed to the ribbon of the relevant campaign medal or to the tunic when no campaign medal awarded

In typical understated British fashion, it meant something brave or industrious worthy of note but not quite enough for a medal. If the offcier or OR in question had a medal, he got the oakleaf. If not, then he had to be satisfied with a copy of the London Gazette with the relevant Citation: "Lt. Smith of the XXth battalion, the YYY Regiment, distinguished himself in the attack at Guancourt on 5 september, 1916." (or whatever - made that one up!)

Peter

Hello,

Thank you very much for this info, so it would mean that for example in my case iff this person has not real bravery awards for example but he does hold the : Africa star he could wear a clover leaf on it.

Iff he was awarded nothing then he does only gets a copy of the London gazette?

Strange for sure :rolleyes:

Cordial greetings,

The Oakleaf (not clover) goes on the ribbon of the campaign where he was mentioned - it would go on the War Medal if it was for service in an area where no campaign medal was awarded

In service outside wartime (i.e., no War Medal) if it was not in a campaign area where either a medal was awarded (Korea et al) or the General Service Medal/Campaign Service Medal then it would go directly on the jacket

It will not be placed on any other "bravery" award

Most Mentions are cited in the London Gazette

Hello,

Thank you very much for this info, so it would mean that for example in my case iff this person has not real bravery awards for example but he does hold the : Africa star he could wear a clover leaf on it.

Iff he was awarded nothing then he does only gets a copy of the London gazette?

Strange for sure :rolleyes:

Cordial greetings,

Not quite . . . for WWII, it would be worn on the War Medal (never on a star), rarely on the Defence Medal, failing that just free on the tunic (a dumb idea). They are also listed in the other gazettes (e.g., Gazette of India), especially later in the war (same as WWI).

Another eye-candy MiD group: That to Subadar Mohd. Sher, IDSM, 3/1st Punjab Regiment. (As he was a Muslim, and likely went to Pakistan after 1947, the WWII medals are unnamed, so there is no absolute certainty that these are HIS medals, but these are his qualifications. Only the IDSM is named, alas. This is why Indian WWII groups are better than the Pakistani ones!)

See: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2331&st=19

Hello,

I wish to thank all participants in this thread, i have learned already quite a bit from this one :cheers:

What would a Spitfire pilot have earned with the following state of service:

* theather of war: Tunesia (shot down and made POW)

Then while a POW he is mentioned in dispatch. Thats the info i do have at this point.

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

I wish to thank all participants in this thread, i have learned already quite a bit from this one :cheers:

What would a Spitfire pilot have earned with the following state of service:

* theather of war: Tunesia (shot down and made POW)

Then while a POW he is mentioned in dispatch. Thats the info i do have at this point.

Cordial greetings,

Without checking his records (presently unavailable) you'll never know. I'd guess: 1939-45 Star Africa Star, War Medal; if (IF) he qualified, maybe a Defence Medal too, but that depends on where/when he served.