News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxe-Meiningen Merit Cross for Women

Since Rick is typing his fingers to the bone on Saxe-Meiningen and he was interested in the Womens Merit Cross, I thought I would add a picture of one in my collection. I got this one several years ago very cheaply because it was billed as a prinzen-sized War Merit Cross from Saxe-Meiningen. There was no picture so I took a chance. It came on a noncombattant ribbon not the proper bow ribbon, but I could never find a replacement. Note the triple "C's" and the lack of crowns between the arms. Also it is only 30 mm, not 39 mm.

Guest Rick Research

:beer: That's a lovely piece! The award rolls DO still exist, but unfortunately with what Neal O'Connor got in '92, all I have is the first page with 14 Princesses listed. No idea how many-- or probably should say how FEW were actually awarded.

Here I am posting the reverse. As you can notice this medal for women is on the correct ribbon bow.

The officially correct name in German of this medal is:

Orden f?r Verdienst von Frauen und Jungfrauen in der Kriegsf?rsorge, 1915-1918

Ciao,

Claudio

I don't know much about ODMs of the German States. However I am starting to learn a bit piece by piece. This Womans Medal is beautiful :jumping: I look forward to getting an education in the ODMs of these States. Thanks for all of the posts, guys!!! :jumping:

:beer: Doc

I also have two(!) award documents for two sisters, with the same(!) number in the left bottom corner.

Is this normal?! What use shall these numbers have, if they're not unique? :speechless:

If you can post a scan of one of these documents I would appreciate it. Also if you ever know where to get a spare bow ribbon I would pay a lot for it. Thanks.

Beautiful medal! And from Mr. Seymours' collection....I am glad it found a good home.

Me too, thanks. :P

If you can post a scan of one of these documents I would appreciate it. Also if you ever know where to get a spare bow ribbon I would pay a lot for it. Thanks.

I've got dozends of this ribbon. No pardon, I was just kidding. ;) I have no idea where to get one, but if I'll see ... :ninja:

Here my two documents:

First, with number 32,2008 I. for "das Fr?ulein Doris Liman von Sanders in Constantinopel", 20. Juni 1917:

And the second one, as well with number 32,2008 I., but for "das Fr?ulein Nelly Liman von Sanders in Constantinopel", also 20. Juni 1917:

Beautiful Medals as befits the fair sex, with regards the documents issued to twin sisters?? :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :D

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

They must have been daughters of the Marshal, there helping Dad! (He got the Grand Cross X Ernestine from Meiningen.)

From the rolls, what that sort of file reference number is on the bottom is a BATCH number. There is never any explanation on the roll, but what it must be is the filing reference for a group "Vorschlagliste."

The Rolls for these do exist, but because they are NOT found in our medal bars and ribbon bars, it hasn't been a "priority" to get them.... maybe in 2008.

From the rolls, what that sort of file reference number is on the bottom is a BATCH number. There is never any explanation on the roll, but what it must be is the filing reference for a group "Vorschlagliste."
    Ah thanks, now I see. I thought the numbers to be like in Weimar rolls, which would have been indeed strange ... :speechless:

They must have been daughters of the Marshal, there helping Dad! (He got the Grand Cross X Ernestine from Meiningen.)
    Yes, they are two of his doughters. I've got some of his documents, but not the Meiningen grand cross'.

• 5 years later...