News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

7 Place Bar with Portegese decoration

I have had this bar for almost 2 years and when I purchased it I thought it would be an easy ID with the Wurttemberg Frederich Order, LD1 and the Portegese Order of Christ 3rd Class. It has proven to be a hard nut to crack. I have looked through every Army and Navy RL that I have from about 1897 forward and no match. I took inspiration from another who member who lloked through the DOA 1908/09. I have just complete looked though A-C and come up with only one possiblility.

First the bar:

I have tried to find Richard Berends in my earlier ranklists since he lists that he is a a.D. Hptm. I tried the 1890 first since I saw the date of 14.9.65. I thought this was a birthday but then realized the the abbreviation is not geb. but daf. Was is the daf. abbreviation? Any suggestion when he was in the Army? I would like to see if he was a reserve officer and maybe has the Wurttem FO and did not list it.

Guest Rick Research

That's "das." for "born in the same place" (Hamburg).

Berends would not seem to be a match since per that entry at least he was an ex REGULAR officer, and this has a Reserve-Landwehr Cross.

All I can find on him is his minimal entry in the 1935 Wer Ist's referring back to the edition of 1928 for details:

former Consul of Brazil, Costa-Rica, and Panama in

Bombay and Hamburg

Dr.jur.utriusque.

No South American countries are listed in the 1917 Hofkalendar, since they had joined the United States in the war.

I don't find any army "Berends" for Consul Georg at all, but the spelling in 1908 is the same as 1935. Puzzling.

Here is Berends' entry from the 1928 edition of Wer Ists. The only mention of military service is his "one year" in 1889-90. Realistically speaking if he achieved the rank of Hauptmann, active or reserve he would not have done so unitl at least the early 1900s. I cannot find any Oberleutnants or Hauptm?nner in any contingent in this period who matches this name. I think perhaps a mistake in DOA regarding his former military service.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn, Thanks for the post. Yes, something is wrong. I could not find him in any RL. I rather doubt he is the correct guy as I find no bayern or lippe connections in any of his listings, although the HH medal makes sense. Also were did the Wf3a come from. I looked through some of my Wurtt. State and Court books and could not find him. The search continues.

Edited by Paul C