News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brunei Medal

have a Brunei medal which was given to me by my Uncle when i was a child. It's got his name and number etc on it, a bit of damage round the edge. He was in the Royal Marines. Can anyone give me some history as to the nature of this conflict and what role the Marines played? Any idea of it's value? (Note: NOT for sale!!!) Cheers.........

--------------------

"I'm drinking wine and eating cheese and catching some rays, you know....."

Chairman Posted: 18 Jun 2004, 22:02

Executive Board Member

Member No.: 1

Brunei came along a couple of years after the Malaya Emergency. It started off when the British propsed a Federated State to include Malaya, Singapaore, Sarwak, Brunei and North Borneo. This came shortly after large oil and gas reserves were found in Brunei. In 1959, a new constitution was written declaring Brunei a self-governing state, while its foreign affairs, security, and defence remained the responsibility of the United Kingdom

An attempt in 1962 to introduce a partially elected legislative body with limited powers was abandoned after the opposition political party, Partai Rakyat Brunei, launched an armed uprising. These left wing rebel forces (backed by Indonesia who was against the Federated State) attacked and staged a revolt against the Sultanate of Brunei. They attacked key instalations and the Sultans Palace.

The British sent in troops to regain control and the rebellion was crushed. The Sultan declared Brunei an Independent State supported by the British. In 1984 it became a totally independent State. However Brunei still has very close ties with Britain and the British Army still has a defence agreement with Brunei, including a Ghurka Battalion stationed there.

The medal itself is probably worth at least ?250 if not more in todays market.

Firefly Posted: 18 Jun 2004, 23:58

Club Staff

Member No.: 9

Thanks for that Mr Chairman. Would like to speak to my Uncle about what he did out there but i haven't seen him since i was a kid. Have had the medal properly ribboned and mounted anyway, looks good......

--------------------

"I'm drinking wine and eating cheese and catching some rays, you know....."

Vice Chairman Posted: 21 Jun 2004, 19:34

Executive Board Member

Member No.: 3

I think that would maybe go for ?400-?500 at an auction, at the moment!

• 2 years later...

Our esyeemed Chair said:

The Sultan declared Brunei an Independent State supported by the British. In 1984 it became a totally independent State. However Brunei still has very close ties with Britain and the British Army still has a defence agreement with Brunei, including a Ghurka Battalion stationed there.

In fact, I believe that the Sultan rather reluctantly had independence thrust upon him by the British but onnly after they agreed that he would have permaqnenet use of one of the Gurkha battalions. Brunie now has at least 1 and I think 2 battalions of Gurkhas recruited from among the time-expired British Gurkha personnel. Or so I was told, some 20 years ago, by a recently retired Major of Ghurka's, then the Curator of the Gurkha Museum at Aldershot. He was in Brunei when the Sultan threw a big party - some anniversary or other and, according to the major, anything in a uniform got a medal pinned on it EXCEPT the corporal's gurad who actually gurded the palace during the banquet! He had that rectified by a direct address to the Sultan.

BTW, the Sultan is (if the same one) a noted Anglophile and, in the days before "dor.com millionaires" one of the world's richest individuals. He owns a small fleet of cars including numerous Rollers and the palave is large enough to have it's own stoplights. Another factoid for the "boring people at cocktail parties fund"! ;)

Peter