News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have an 1914 EK1 engraved on the back to Hauptmann Held .. Badisches Feld... Artillerie ... Regiment Nr. 66 ..... 1 Battery. I got this from Detlev Niemann a few years back.

I realize this may be just a shot in the dark, but could someone further identify this officer?

Thank you,

Rod

Guest Rick Research

No first name from my sources unfortunately, but a career-long officer in FAR 66--

Leutnant 18.8.95 V

Oberleutnant 15.9.05 D5d

Hauptmann 22.3.12 V

Major 18.4.18 #2

Oberstleutnant 1.2.24 #5

Served in Reichsheer Artillery Regiment 5 and I think retired (or died) in 1926

Awards:

HHOX

EK1 and 2

BZ3bXmE 17.10.14 as Hptm in FAR 66 and no first name given, argh

Prussian XXV

1897 Centenary

?M3k

Hello Rod.

The 1913 preuss. und wuertt. Rangliste shows Hptm. Held as having seniority as of 22.Mar.1912 and being assigned to 1.Battery in 4.Badisches Feldart.Regt.Nr.66 . The Ehrenrangliste of 1926 shows him as Oberstlt.in 5.Art.Rgt. and apparently having stayed with that regiment throughout the war.

Bernhard H.Holst

Rick..

If I can prevail on your generous nature just a bit more..

In your listing of Held's awards, I know what the HHOX and 1897 Centenary are, but what in the world are the Prussian XXV and the OM3K?

Thanks,

Rod

Rick..

If I can prevail on your generous nature just a bit more..

In your listing of Held's awards, I know what the HHOX and 1897 Centenary are, but what in the world are the Prussian XXV and the OM3K?

Thanks,

Rod

Prussian XXV = the Dienstauszeichnung (Service Decoration) for 25 years, or the officer's 25-Year Long Service Cross in a more idiomatic translation.

?M3K = Austrian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration (?sterreichisches Milit?rverdienstkreuz 3. Klasse mit Kriegsdekoration)

AU_MVK_1.jpg

Rod,

don't have his first name but here are some further career details:

15.01.94: Entered Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 30

18.08.94: Portepee-F?hnrich

18.08.95: Sek. Lieutenant

01.10.98-31.01.99: Attached to the Field Artillery School of Gunnery

01.10.99: Transfered to Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 66

01.10.00-28.02.01: Attached to the School of Physical Training

01.12.02-31.01.03: Attached to the Technical Institute

01.10.07-30.09.09: Course at the Military Riding Institute

22.03.12: Hauptmann (supernumery)

01.10.12: Appointed Battery Commander of 1./FAR. 66

Regards

Glenn

I think I would like to make a display grouping of Held's awards around his EK1.

Is the BZ3bXmE 17.10.14 as Hptm in FAR 66 listed above by Rick an award? If so what in the world is it?

Also is the pic shown by Dave the exact type that Held would have been awarded. I think (and remember I am a real newbie) the war decoration is the laurel wreath. Dave's pic also has swords on the ribbon which I think is an additional award. (Sorry for being so picky Dave. I greatly appreciate the pic! I just want to be as accurate as I can with Held.)

Finally, I have read (somewhere) that the officers 25 year award comes in types 1, 11 and 111 based on the time periods of issue with type 1 as the earliest. I would assume Held would have been given the type 111 (last issued time period). Am I on the right track?

Thanks so much again to all and for putting up with me.

Rod

Edited by Rod

I have a friend who informs me the wreath is the war award and the swords are a plus!!

ALSO, I am informed the first name is OTTO!!!

I am struggling .... but having a good time!! :jumping:

Thanks again

Rod

Guest Rick Research

Xs on the ?M3K were only authorized at the end of 1916. Most Austrian-Hungarian officers upgraded prior awards if they were entitled to the frontline Xs, but many German recipients did not:

so without knowing WHEN Held got his, you can't tell whether he'd have had Xs or not.

Do a search on "BZ3bXmE" and you will see MANY examples of the Baden Order of the Z?hringen Lion-Knight Second Class with Swords and Oakleaves. And now you know why we use the Rank List abbreviations! :rolleyes:

Is the BZ3bXmE 17.10.14 as Hptm in FAR 66 listed above by Rick an award? If so what in the world is it?

This is a BZ3bXmE, Baden's Order of the Z?hringen Lion, Knight 2nd Class with Oakleaves and Swords (Orden vom Z?hringer L?wen, Ritterkreuz 2. Klasse mit Eichenlaube und Schwertern):

DE_Baden_OZL_OL_X_closeup.jpg

B = Grand Duchy of Baden

Z = Order of the Z?hringen Lion (Orden vom Z?hringer L?wen)

3b = Knight 2nd Class (Ritterkreuz 2. Klasse) (3a was a Knight 1st Class, 2b a Commander 2nd Class, 2a a Commander 1st Class, 1 a Grand Cross)

X = with Swords (mit Schwertern) (rank lists used a little crosses swords icon)

mE = with Oakleaves (mit Eichenlaube)

• 1 month later...

and the last part.... the item is the lower left hand is a Baden veterans organization that I added just for "color:.

Rod

RATS.... sorry I have done my best!!! Files are tooooo large.

Rod