News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lost tunnels undermine Ypres town

Hauptmann

I recall when I lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA 20 years ago there was an issue about 'mine subsidence' in certain areas. This was because of coal mining back in the late 19th/early 20th century.... Many years later the ground would give way above said coal mines as the tunnels collapsed and the homes built on the surfarce above the mines would get wrecked.

Ouch! I believe there's a place in Kentucky (?) where the old coal mine is actually burning, so a few of the local wells give hot water and occasionally smoke. Comforting, eh?

Also, some of the huge mines used in War One did not detonate as planned at Vimy. Apparently the last one to go off was in the 1950's, during a lightning storm. Luckily it was still pastureland, so only cows died, but a (the?) remaining one is believed to be under a built up area now. Do you suppose one's insurance would cover that? Who do you sue?

Peter