News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Life Saving medal awarded to Germans

As I was researching a ribbon bar I ran across some entries for a Turkish Life Saving medal that was awarded to German Naval officers. I did some checking and found the following information:

Lifesaving Medal (Tahlisiye Madalyasi)

This medal was awarded for saving life at sea. It had a diameter of 36mm, the size that was typical of Turkish medals from the mid-1800's, and was struck in silver. Although gold examples were known to exist, they were most likely never awarded. The obverse bears the Tughra of Abdulmejid, surrounded by a floral design. The reverse has a stylized decorative border around an inscription which reads "Commemorating praiseworthy action and accomplishment in aiding those who have fallen into danger"

The ribbon of this medal, 35mm wide, could be any of four color combinations, determined by the number of actions for which it was awarded. For the first lifesaving action, the ribbon was completely red; for the second action, it was solid green; for the third action, solid white; for the fourth action it would have three stripes of red, green and white. It is possible that the gold medal may have been created for those who performed a fifth action. Generally, when recipients were "promoted" to a higher ribbon color, it was announced in the official government newspapers at the time.

The link for further information is:

http://www.turkishmedals.net/others.htm

What is of interest is the color of the ribbons:

first action - solid red

second action - solid green

third action - solid white

fourth action - red, green and white strip

Several other nations and German states use a solid red ribbon or solid green. I wanted to post this information for anyone who is working with a ribbon bar that has the color. While they should be at the end of the bar they can be confused with peacetime awards.

As can be seen from the below pics of the White Falcon decoration (from a post by Medalnet) and the Port. Order of Christ, it is easy to be confused with a plain red ribbon on a German ribbon bar.

Guest Rick Research

Green doesn't help much either.

THIS is almost certainly the Turkish Lifesaving green ribbon:

and yet THIS one is most probably the dementedly rare Brunswick Lifesaving Medal (same ribbon):