News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bhutan

Antonio Prieto

It is not an Order, but part of the new series of awards instituted by King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk. They were presented for the first time in 2012.

The Civil Service Awards seems to come in 4 Classes

1st Class Gold with enameled portrait of the king (for Life Time Achievement)

2nd Class Gold with portrait of the King (for 30 Years Dedicated Service)

3rd Class Silver with portrait of the King (for 20 Years Dedicated Service)

4th Class Bronze with portrait of the King (for 10 Years Dedicated Service).

I borrowed the 1st photo from a previous post by Antonio Prieto ,  the 2nd photo comes from Royal Insignia ( the manufacturer of the award), the 3rd photo from Government of Bhutan web site (link below), the 4th photo from Government of Bhutan web site (from an award ceremony on 16 December 2016).

http://www.gasa.gov.bt/news/royal-civil-service-awards

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Civil Service Award 2017 medals.jpg.fd01c49ab99d9e450317203ff25c0394.jpg

Bhutan Royal Civil Service Award.jpg

Bhutan Civil Service Award Medal.jpg

Bhutan Civil Service Award Medal for 10 & 20 Years awarded 2016.jpg

Edited by heusy68

I know the topic of the Medal of the Coronation of King Jigme Singye Wangchuk on 2 June 1974 had already discussed in a previous post by Ed. But maybe I can add some more information.

First, no it's not the medal that belong to Ed Haynes, ribbon is same, but hooked a bit differently to the suspension ring. I agree with ED, this medal is not that rare, but when it comes to get it with its original ribbon and original suspension bar, then it's a very rare catch.

In the late 1966 and 1970ies Bhutan already awarded some medals, but usually the quality of workmanship of the service award was poor. For the Coronation Medal of 1974, the quality is very good, and I believe the medal have been struck in England.

In the 1990ies Royal Insignia of Singapore got the tender to modernise all the awards of Bhutan So they did it, and they also made a modern version of the 1974 Coronation Medal. However I never got photographic evidence that this medal was ever struck, and from conversation with ELM Team in 2005, they agreed that the last medal at right (modern version of the 1974 Coronation Medal was not approved by the King).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Coronation 1974 Medal King Jigme Singye Wangchuk 1st issue obverse.jpg

Bhutan Coronation 1974 Medal King Jigme Singye Wangchuk 1st issue reverse.jpg

Bhutan Coronation 1974 Medal King Jigme Singye Wangchuk 2nd issue.jpg

In 1999 was instituted this Medal for the 25th Anniversary of the Coronation of King Jigme Singye Wangchuk.

It is interesting to mention that King Singye was King of Bhutan from 15 July 1972, when he succeeded his father. But the coronation took place on 2 June 1974.

However this Medal commemorate 25 Years Enthronement.

I have manage to get this medal from Bhutan (but the seller did not had the ribbon), so I choose to display it with a UK East & Central Africa Medal 1899 (better than nothing). For this reason I choose to show a photo of what shall look like the actual ribbon (actually actual ribbon shall be 1 or 2 millimeter wider, the yellow a bit more sandy and the red a bit more red than the ECA Ribbon). But better than nothing, it's a 97 % match.

Despite repeated attempt to get the actual ribbon from ELM Singapore, I have never got a reply from them. 

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Silver Jubilee Medal 1999 King Jigme Singye Wangchuk obverse.jpg

Bhutan Silver Jubilee Medal 1999 King Jigme Singye Wangchuk reverse.jpg

Bhutan Silver Jubilee Medal 1999 King Jigme Singye Wangchuk.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

Here we have the Coronation Medal of King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk. 

He succeeded his father King Jigme Singye on 14 December 2006, but Enthronement Ceremony was on 6 November 2008.

This medal exist at least in Gold (gilt) and Silver.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Coronation 2008 Medal obverse.jpg

Bhutan Coronation 2008 Medal reverse.jpg

Bhutan Coronation 2008 Medal reverse close up.jpg

Bhutan Coronation Medal 2008 Silver obverse.jpg

Bhutan Coronation Medal 2008 Silver reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

Here is the Coronation of Druk Gyalpo & Centenary of the Monarchy Commemorative Medal 2008.

The medal is silver, and was made by Royal Insignia of Singapore.

I do not know if this medal was instituted shortly before, or after the Coronation medal I have described on the post above. But here it is. From a post of Antonio Prieto in 2018, it seems that this medal is worn by 3 Officers on the photo. But none are wearing the coronation medal. It is possible that this Medal was more widely awarded that the Coronation Medal.

I have to mention that on a post of 3 may 2014, our fellow member fjcp had posted a medal, but the medal he posted the photo is actually a mix, between the ribbon of the Centenary of the Monarchy Medal, and the pendant of the Silver Jubilee of Enthronement of King Jigme Singye Wangchuk.

Actually on that same time (spring 2014), there was a dealer from Paro, who was selling just a few medals from Bhutan on eBay. I even remember his name, but I will not mention it here, not to put him in trouble there. I bought 3 Medals from him, and then this seller never pops up any more on eBay.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Coronation of the Druk Gyalpo & Centenary of the Monarchy 2008 obverse.jpg

Bhutan Coronation of the Druk Gyalpo & Centenary of the Monarchy 2008 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

Here is a medal that is mentioned in many data source. But yet, I have not seen this medal worn.

It's King Jigme Singye Wangchuk 60th Birthday Medal.

As King Jigme Singye is born in 1952, this medal shall have been instituted in 2012, by his son, the current King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk, likely to pay tribute to his father.

But I have no idea on how much were made, or even awarded.

I would be happy if ever I could get one for my collection.....

The medal was made by Royal Insignia of Singapore.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Medal 60th Anniversary of the King.jpg.png

Bhutan Medal for 60th Birthday of 4th Druk Gyalpo Jigme Singye Wangchuck.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Lovely, lovely stuff.  And all, as you say, well made.  Such a pleasure to see that some governments take the time and money to design and produce awards which LOOK as if they are worth having.  Thank you very much for sharing them.  ?

And last from the list, is the Bhutan King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk 6th Years of Enthronement Medal.

There is some medal list that refer this, but I have been able to get, only this sketch, from a facebook page from a Royal Bhutan Society.

Actually it seems it was manufactured by Thomas Fattorini of Birmingham.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Bhutan Medal for the 6th Anniversary of King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk Coronation 2008 2014.jpg

Edited by heusy68

• 1 month later...

Thanks, for the lovely pictures and info! 

I've just received another coronation badge from 1974 and am I right in thinking this might be the "gold" version of the badge or is it just wishful thinking? I've added some pictures for comparison and to see what you guys think?

1st. Badge alone front and back.

2nd. Two badges, Zero signs of the gold colour on the brown/tarnished badge.

Both are brass, and not silver as the royal arc website suggests it could/should be.

3rd. Comparison with a Mongolian medal with similar gilding and screw nut which is plain brass.

4th. The badges with their more modern counterpart.

Either way I'm very happy with my 2nd coronation badge. At this rate, one every 7-8 years, I might have 4 by the time I'm 60.

Any thoughts?

Jan

unnamed.png

unnamed.jpg

unn2amed (1).jpg

unnaamed.jpg

u234nnamed.jpg

• 1 year later...