News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kukri knife

Brian Wolfe

Hello All,

I had a couple of Kukri knives that I purched several years ago and I was wondering if anyone would happen to know the age of the one I still have. I traded the other kukri for the Afganistan 1881 medal I posted photos of earlier this evening. It was a good trade as when I purchased these they were selling for $25 - $30 each depending on the condition. This one has two "fullers" running down the blade, I would guess for added strength and to lighten the massive blade. There are no markings on this weapon to denote government ownership. Any ideas as to age?

Cheers

Brian

Far, FAR from anything I know much about, but it looks pre-WWII to me, probably WWI (if I had to GUESS).

Hi Ed,

It didn't look like the ones I've seen from the WW II period. If you run your fingers along the fullers it feels slightly wavy as if there are hand forged marks left on the blade. These are slight but you can feel them.

Cheers

Brian

I'd agree with Tom: probably a private, not military issue. The pommel style is reminiscent of paintings I've seen from the nineteenth century and the size suggests Nepali manufacture, so quite possibly of some age and likely hand made, as you suggest.

I used to be quite interested, several decades ago, and I don't recall ever seeing one from pre-WWI except in a museum, but the overall style looks at least pre-1914. A really nice find indeed!

Peter :cheers:

Hi Tom,

The whole knife is 16 1/4 inches in length with the blade being 11 1/2 inches.

Cheers

Brian

My 19th c. Royal Nepalese Army one is 19in. overall and hand forged. The WWI & II models as I remember were only slightly shorter, maybe an inch. I think you've got a real winner. Do you have the sheath and the 2 small knives?

My 19th c. Royal Nepalese Army one is 19in. overall and hand forged. The WWI & II models as I remember were only slightly shorter, maybe an inch. I think you've got a real winner. Do you have the sheath and the 2 small knives?

Hi Tom,

No the dealer who was selling perhaps a dozen or more at the time only had the knives to offer.

Cheers

Brian

Yes, looks pre-WWI. Nepali-made, of course. Weren't they all, pre-1947? I know some of the post-1947 ones are made in India, but not all. Cant' say how those unfortunates that remained in British service get theirs.

Very similar to many that I saw in the National Museum (in Kathmandu). Somewhere, I may have some pictures.

Yes, looks pre-WWI. Nepali-made, of course. Weren't they all, pre-1947? I know some of the post-1947 ones are made in India, but not all. Cant' say how those unfortunates that remained in British service get theirs.

Very similar to many that I saw in the National Museum (in Kathmandu). Somewhere, I may have some pictures.

Ed

The WWII kukri I owned for years had a broad arrow stamp, which obviously doesn't speak to it's place of manufacture but I had always assumed it was made in India. There were obviously thousands made for that conflict and issued, I think, to others besides Gurkhas as bush knives, so I wonder if they mayn't have been turned out in India. Thoughts on that?

Peter