News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An IC Core

Hi all,

Here's something I've only seen once and I grabbed it... just couldn't resist. It's the core of an Imperial IC 2nd. It's magnetic and a neat piece. Only problem is that someone along the line painted it silver... or at least some of it. :banger::speechless:

I've been sorely tempted to try and remove the paint but as always with such things I don't take that lightly. Probably can't hurt at this stage with it being just the core with no frame, etc.

Anyhow just thought I'd pop it up in case someone might be intro'd in seeing it.

Dan :cheers:

• 1 month later...

And now...

Actually this looks tons better in person than in the scans. It's absolutely beautiful! A friend of mine did this for me. He removed the old silver paint someone put on it and then used his airbrush to repaint it black. Took him four tries to get it up to his standard. I just wish I could get it to show up as well with the scanner as it looks in daylight in front of me.

And now...

Actually this looks tons better in person than in the scans. It's absolutely beautiful! A friend of mine did this for me. He removed the old silver paint someone put on it and then used his airbrush to repaint it black. Took him four tries to get it up to his standard. I just wish I could get it to show up as well with the scanner as it looks in daylight in front of me.

Hallo Dan, :cheers:

I thought most, if not all Iron Crosses II Class, were constructed from two Iron Cores, a front and a back, these held together with the silver rim??

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Hallo Dan, :cheers:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-950-1175583904.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-950-1175583916.jpg

I thought most, if not all Iron Crosses II Class, were constructed from two Iron Cores, a front and a back, these held together with the silver rim??

Hi Kevin,

I'd never heard that before. Far as I know the core is a solid piece of iron... just as in the case of the one I have. It's held between the two silver frames which are silver soldered together. Again, that's the way I've always known it to be. Perhaps some of our experts on Iron Crosses can chime in here. :unsure:

But I've no reason to believe this to be anything but authentic. I got it in a dealers junk box a couple decades ago. Probably paid a couple of bucks for it. It's identical in size to the cores in all the IC's I have and the details look correct. It's just definitely been there and done that.

Anyhow here's hoping we'll get some more comments coming in.

Thanks, :beer:

Hallo Dan, please see:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10851

Reading through it seems opinion is that single core were mainly used, but I have seen two piece as well.

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks! Again I'd never heard of that and it's very interesting. I did know that some would "rattle" in their frames but I always felt this was just something that happened over time with wear and tear and didn't know it was due to a duel core being used. See... Ve German's vas vay ahed of our time! Ve had Duel Cores before anyvun else!!!! :cheeky:

Seriously though, it was great reading through that thread and seeing the great pics there.

Thanks for sharing it with me/us. :beer:

the vast majority of 1914 EK cores were one piece, although

certainly there were two piece cores. two different styles of

manufacture, but clearly one-piece MUCH more common.

rattling cores are not unique to either process.

why does it happen?

my suspicion is that as the war progressed and the

number of EK's went from hundreds to thousands

to tens- and hundreds of thousands, looser tolerances

and using other manufacturers finished parts may explain

why the little ones were "noisy".

why not the '39 EK 2?

LDO, rules and regs, tight-sphinctered officials...

less variety and a master blueprint.

interested in your thoughts.

joe

why not the '39 EK 2?

joe

Hallo Joe :cheers:

And the fact that many iii reich iron cross II class pieces were machine-joined and not hand-joined together resulting in a much tighter fitting standard being attained.

the vast majority of 1914 EK cores were one piece, although

certainly there were two piece cores. two different styles of

manufacture, but clearly one-piece MUCH more common.

rattling cores are not unique to either process.

why does it happen?

my suspicion is that as the war progressed and the

number of EK's went from hundreds to thousands

to tens- and hundreds of thousands, looser tolerances

and using other manufacturers finished parts may explain

why the little ones were "noisy".

why not the '39 EK 2?

joe

Hi, Actually I have two genuine EK11 39-45 which do rattle 1 is made by Wahtler & Lange and the other one excapes me for the moment, both are genuine. The W& L one is an early war piece, possibly before the LDO got in there, I don't know

regards

Alex

joe agree entirely, from what I've experienced ww11 rattlers are invariably early pieces when quality control or the tight regulations of the LDO weren't about. attached the early W & L 100 stamped ek11