News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian 1941 Fire Cross

Hi Gents,

So far I'd always read the obverse of this Fire Cross could have either 1942, 1943, 1944 or 1942-43 on the lower cross arm. I was thus rather surprised to see "1941" on this one ...

I'd appreciate any information and/or remarks on this subject.

I'll also include a picture of the reverse (which should have "1941") ... it's all covered with some material that is quite hard and non-removable for the moment (reminds me of concrete ! :speechless1: ). Suggestions as to removal of the substance are very welcome !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hallo Hendrick :cheers:

Nice Cross even with the additional "cement", you could try suspending it in Coke-a-cola to see if it would remove it! :unsure: But not to long as all the patina might go to. And use an old tooth brush to see if it might remove the concrete.

Your type seems to fall under the Non-Combatant: Two-part construction, with the wreath attached to the main body by 4 (?) catches, raised date 1941 on the obverse, with possibly 1941 impressed into the reverse, under the concrete.

There is also known to exsist a unusual variation, field made type, cast in bronze, of one-piece construction.

I attach pictures of a one-piece, 1942 with swords, plain reverse, its damaged, missing a sword tip, the compensation being the very rare issue card.

It measures: 36mm X 40mm (top of the rectangular ribbon ring mount to lower edge of the Cross.

There were 3 types of "Fire Cross" that were awarded to military personel, home defence and civilians,

The Home Defence got a plain Cross with with a circular centre piece with AHAZAERT (for the Fatherland).

The Non-Combatants got one with a wreath surrounding the centre medalion and without swords.

The Combatant had swords added, as well as the wreath around the centre medalion. (many of these went to ss types and again many were Posthumously awarded.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

... Your type seems to fall under the Non-Combatant: Two-part construction, with the wreath attached to the main body by 4 (?) catches, raised date 1941 on the obverse, with possibly 1941 impressed into the reverse, under the concrete.

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for your information and pictures. It's indeed a non-combattant 2-part construction but I'm still surprised at finding the 1941 on the obverse. In the literature on this award that I've so far seen, that specific year was never mentioned as being on the obverse, only on its reverse, as the year of its institution.

Coke + toothbrush ... I think I may give that a prudent try, thanks for the tip !

Cheers for now,

Hendrik

• 1 month later...

Well - tyring to get to the older posts - :rolleyes: The Fire Cross was instituted in 1941 when Hungary participated in Operation Barbarossa and previously the short Balkan Campain. This fire cross could have been awarded to someone who was "near" the front as it has a wreath in the center - a Fire Cross without a wreath was esigned for mobilizing troops and troos stationed in the borders of Hungary. In 1941 when the cross was intistuted the lower arm was designed to bear the year of bestowal of the recipient. The reverse of the medal was to have the year "1941" stamped into the reverse - but as there were several manufacturers of Hungarian medals and orders - this did not always happen, so you get cast ones, one piece and two piece, 1941 stamped into the reverse, and plain, etc... The natural progression of the war allowed for crosses to bear the 1942 and then 1943. There was never a produced cross (perhpas a prototype at most) with the year 1944. Now to throw into the mix the cirteria of the award (certain time in a combat zone or zone of occupation) some people were apparently awarded crosses with the dates 1938 and 1940 on them for the First and Second Vienna Awards where Hungary was given back a portion of Slovakia (1938) and then the hotly disputed (to this day) Transylvanina region (1940). However these are so rare that even the curator of medals and orders at the Hungarian Military Musuem has never seen one - but there is enought written material (period and modern) that supports that these were indeeed produced.

Hi all,

I hope I'm understanding this correctly now... this is not a "fire" cross in the sense of it being an award to a member of a Fire Department... but more like troops who get thrown into a hot area to get things going in the right direction for their side again... kind of like Waffen SS troops tended to be.

Please let me know if I've got this right or not. :unsure:

Thanks, :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi all,

I hope I'm understanding this correctly now... this is not a "fire" cross in the sense of it being an award to a member of a Fire Department... but more like troops who get thrown into a hot area to get things going in the right direction for their side again... kind of like Waffen SS troops tended to be.

Please let me know if I've got this right or not. :unsure:

Thanks, :beer:

The official name is the "Tuz Kereszt" - "Tuz" is the word for "fire" and "Kereszt" is the word for "cross" - its a combat, military medal - not for the fire department. "A Hazaert" is our phrase "For the Fatherland". The award broke down roughly as - plain: for mobilized troops within the Hungarian borders (not occupied lands!) - these are super rare! / with wreath: for troops in the occupied areas and in rear areas of the front (the exception seems to be artillery though) / with swrods: for troops who could "see the whites of their eyes" and run a bayonette through the gizzard of the enemy. Even though Artillery troops hardly got that opportunity but were in direct combat with the enemy they qualified for the version with swords. Also the medal was awarded with small 5mm aluminium bands running horizontal on the ribbon signifying wounds recived.

Hi all,

Charles, many thanks for that great explanation!!!! :jumping::jumping: I'm up with the front of the herd again! :P Believe you me the view is much better up here in the front! :cheeky:

I wanted to pop on a link to my latest acquisition, thanks to Charles (Thank you so much my friend!!!! :cheers: ) as I felt it might be of interest as it's a medal bar which includes one of the Fire Crosses.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16324

I really love these and hope we continue to learn more about them.