News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Since picking up the Band Master tunic, I have been looking around to find all the LW band photos I could get. Fortunately, they are not nearly as rare or expensive as the tunics.

I have found several thus far. This one arrived in the mail today. I have four more enroute.

If you look closely, the Fliegerbluse on the left background does not have an Eagle. I have noticed the same from the other photos I have coming in as well. The photos were part of a grouping that was broken up on Ebay!!! I managed to get a few of the many. I will post the others as they arrive.

I would be interested to see what you have!

81536772sd4.jpg

The Senior NCO conducting this paratrooper band somewhere in Brittany in 1944 is wearing a normal fliegerbluse but I figured you'd like this shot all the same, Paul. I just spent a fortnight in Maine, by the way. If you want a decent-sized scan for your files, drop me an e-mail.

P

Edited by PKeating

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple more from the same group. I am still upset that the seller broke the grouping to sell on Ebay. There were over 50 photos. I managed to get five of them.

This one was taken at a funeral.

Same group... notice the same Band Master. This time with chest eagles. The quality of the EM uniforms worn by these men is evident in the photo... Not the cheesy heavy wool!!

Great photos Paul, the lack of breast eagles in one of your photos is simply because they are early photos, the first fliegerbluses worn didn't have breast eagles, they were ordered on to the bluses some time in 1940, I am at work at the moment and can't remember the exact date for breast eagles to be sewn on to the fleigerbluses, the dates are mentioned in the reference books.

Prosper, as always your photo archives are very impressive!

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob! I did not know that the mandate to wear the chest eagles came so late! The photos range from 1940-44, based upon everything I saw on Ebay with this group.

Hi Paul,

I am home now, and have volume 1 of B. L. Davis Luftwaffe book in front of me, page 223 states:

"Until November 1940, the Luftaffe version of the national emblem, the breast eagle, had not been part of the Blouse as worn by NCO's and other ranks. It is probable that the outbreak of the Second World War precipitated the need for Luftwaffe personnel to be readily identifiable and so it was that the insignia was added to this garment."

Bob

• 2 weeks later...