Alex,

You have an enlisted man's uniform with an officers set of shoulderboards. The U1 indicates the tunic was made in the first quarter of 1978 and looks as though it was never issued. The k, for klein, indicates a small sized tunic and the 48 indicates a size of US. 38 and European 96. It is a nice tunic for a start. Because of the unused state I would suggest that you get low ranking enlisted man's boards to complete it.

Regards,

Gordon

• 1 month later...

Alex,

You have an enlisted man's uniform with an officers set of shoulderboards. The U1 indicates the tunic was made in the first quarter of 1978 and looks as though it was never issued. The k, for klein, indicates a small sized tunic and the 48 indicates a size of US. 38 and European 96. It is a nice tunic for a start. Because of the unused state I would suggest that you get low ranking enlisted man's boards to complete it.

Regards,

Gordon

:D Thankyou

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Here is the Stasi marking inside the tunic. The colors on the boards and collar tabs are brighter in the picture. In reality they are blood red as they are supposed to be. Thank you again for your attention.

Nice rare MfS marked tunic ! The specific MfS marking was only used for a couple of yrs in early 70s (71-72 from what I know) on dark colar tunics...! Used again in late 70s on light summer uniforms...

Nice rare MfS marked tunic ! The specific MfS marking was only used for a couple of yrs in early 70s (71-72 from what I know) on dark colar tunics...! Used again in late 70s on light summer uniforms...

When did the cuff titles come out?

• 3 months later...

I am confused. The original question about the tunic being EM or officer. The tunic appears to be gaberdine and not wool and to be a 4 button open collar tunic. I thought this indicated officer, not EM as was answered. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Robert

I am confused. The original question about the tunic being EM or officer. The tunic appears to be gaberdine and not wool and to be a 4 button open collar tunic. I thought this indicated officer, not EM as was answered. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Robert

Gabardine tunics were worn by officers AND professional NCO or EM !! Non professional NCO and EM wore the wooly type ones !!

The tunic posted in post #1 is definetly a professional EM since the colar tabs are machine sown... the officer shoulder boards are not correct...

If you keep them you would have to replace the collar tabs !

Edited by olivyaya

Hello, I am new at posting pics...Here is the DDR tunic I own. I hope it comes out ok. Thanks

I love this type of tunics with the MfS stamp inside ! I also have a couple and I am so excited each time I handle them !!

I remember in the early 1990s noticing that on brand new gabardine tunics, the collar tabs were never sown ... while they were on all wooly type ones... this puzzled me for quite a while... until I understood that the gabardine tunics were meant to receive either the NCO/EM or the Officer collar tabs... this is why they would not sow them before they knew to whom the tunics were destined.

Edited by olivyaya

Gabardine tunics were worn by officers AND professional NCO or EM !! Non professional NCO and EM wore the wooly type ones !!

The tunic posted in post #1 is definetly a professional EM since the colar tabs are machine sown... the officer shoulder boards are not correct...

Very astute observation. I thank you for adding to my information database.

Perhaps you can help me ID this very strange tunic. It is a recently aquired wool EM Grenztruppen tunic. It has the clasps, top button, and button hole to be worn closed collar, but the collar/lapel is cut like an officers tunic, as is the button placement. There are no NVA markings at all. Only a "tailors tag" in the inside pocket that reads "VEB (B) Kleiderwerk Wernigerode".

I haven't bothered to replace the infantry shoulder boards with the correct ones yet. Here is a link to a picture.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q160/wo...nEMTunic002.jpg

Thanks,

Robert

Edited by siampete

You are very welcome...

I cannot see the pictures... aren't they protected inside your account pages ?

I don't know what was happening. The one link is modified and now visible. You may need to refresh your browser window.

Thanks Again,

Robert