News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all:

This CDV is of Tilo Freiherr von Beust who was from a large family of socially important v. Beust's from Sachsen-Altenburg. I believe that he resided at a place called Schlo? Moderwitz. It appears as though he is wearing a six (6) place medal bar.

Here are my guesses as to what it consists of:

1) SEHO knight (1st?)

2) ?

3) ?

4) Oldenburg PFLHO? (knight 1st or 2nd?)

5) Anhalt OAB

6) ?

I don't have any Saxon rank lists that go back to this era (1875-1890?). Perhaps Rick (the all-knowing, ever merciful, ....) or someone else can help me figure out what this fellows awards consisted of.

Thanks!

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Guest Rick Research

Uhhh, could you scan that TINY ...

BIG?

(Epson scanners, Epson scanners, Epsons scanners, size and scan once at size desired, no monkeying around. Eeeeeeeasy.)

Saxe Ernestine House Order first, ... can not SEE.

#&*&@&@#***#!

Unexperienced fools and HP scanners DO NOT mix. I hope that all of you passed the vision test! As soon as I read the instruction manual for this thing, I will hopefully figure out what to do. Look for improved large-scale scans in about six (6) months.

With my appologies,

"SPM"

Guest Rick Research

You've got your setting on BITMAP instead of JPEG, I think, from the KB size-to-microscopic-image proportion.

Try changing your settings. And 150dpi should be good enough focus.

This image (at 240dpi which also eats up more KB size for reduced image size as viewed) is about the same KB size as yours and... rather a different viewed size, isn't it?

EpsonscannerEpsonscannerEpsonscannerEpsonscanner. (still no kickbacks, sigh.)

I don't have any Saxon rank lists that go back to this era (1875-1890?). Perhaps Rick (the all-knowing, ever merciful, ....) or someone else can help me figure out what this fellows awards consisted of.

He would be in a Prussian rank list, not a Saxon one. As the SEHO in first place indicates, he was apparently from one of the small Saxon duchies which were part of the Prussian Army under the various protocols and conventions of the late 1860s. I don't know where Schlo? Moderwitz was, but Moderwitz was in the Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. He doesn't appear to have a White Falcon, though, which would be first if he were from that state.

There are no Beusts in the 1875 edition of the Handbuch ?ber den preussischen Staat, which lists civil officials, and I don't have any early military ranklists either, so I can't be of much more help.

SPM,

the biggest problem is that in the Gotha covering the Barons (Freiherren) no Tilo Freiherr v. Beust is listed. I am thinking that "Tilo" must have been a name he commonly used but was not Christened as such. Judging from the age of the photo (1860 -1870 ish) this leaves two "suspects" from the 1st or Moderwitz line:

Major a.D. Joachim Friedrich Ottomar Freiherr v. Beust, 7 Oct 1910 - 19 Sep 1886, former Ducal Saxon-Altenburg Major and

Major a.D. Gottlieb August Maximilian Freiherr v. Beust, 12 May 1827 - 6 Mar 1909. a former Prussian Major retired in 1872. It cannot be the latter as he held only a long service medal in 1871.

Regards

Glenn

Hello Rick, Dave, and Glenn:

Thank you for your patience and your assistance. I have finally figured out how to utilize my new scanner (yes, I know, I should have purchased an Epson!).

This fellow is from Sachsen-Altenburg (NOT Sachsen-Anhalt) as I earlier wrote.

The residence (actual home) of this fellow was called "Schlo? Moderwitz" as far as I can tell, as a Google search revealled a story of an American relative travelling to visit him there in the late 1800's.

Many v. Beust's show up as receiving Saxson awards, so the quest is not going to be easy. Glenn, a good tip regarding the name as "Tilo" may have been a moniker. I believe that this fellow was possibly an Officer in a unit from Sachsen-Altenburg (Altenburg is where the photo was taken), so perhaps the 8. Th?ringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 153. You are right Dave, this unit would be in the Prussian rank list.

Glenn may have already found our friend. I would be curious to know if anyone has 1860-1880 Prussian rank lists and could find him. I believe that I am correct regarding the fellow having a SEHO and Anhalt Order of Albert the Bear award. The others are very difficult to see as the CDV is very small. It would be nice to confirm who he was and what awards he received through a rank list entry.

I also think that I can perhaps see swords on the SEHO badge??

Best regards,

"SPM"

Hello Rick, Dave, and Glenn:

Thank you for your patience and your assistance. I have finally figured out how to utilize my new scanner (yes, I know, I should have purchased an Epson!).

This fellow is from Sachsen-Altenburg (NOT Sachsen-Anhalt) as I earlier wrote.

The residence (actual home) of this fellow was called "Schlo? Moderwitz" as far as I can tell, as a Google search revealled a story of an American relative travelling to visit him there in the late 1800's.

Many v. Beust's show up as receiving Saxson awards, so the quest is not going to be easy. Glenn, a good tip regarding the name as "Tilo" may have been a moniker. I believe that this fellow was possibly an Officer in a unit from Sachsen-Altenburg (Altenburg is where the photo was taken), so perhaps the 8. Th?ringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 153. You are right Dave, this unit would be in the Prussian rank list.

Glenn may have already found our friend. I would be curious to know if anyone has 1860-1880 Prussian rank lists and could find him. I believe that I am correct regarding the fellow having a SEHO and Anhalt Order of Albert the Bear award. The others are very difficult to see as the CDV is very small. It would be nice to confirm who he was and what awards he received through a rank list entry.

I also think that I can perhaps see swords on the SEHO badge??

Best regards,

"SPM"

IR 153 was formed in 1897. The Altenburgers were previously part of IR 96, I think.

Just to confirm, from the 1867 convention with Prussia which integrated the Sachsen-Altenburg army into the Prussian Army, until the formation of IR 153 in 1897, the Altenburg contingent was the 2. Bataillon of 7. Th?ringischen Infanterie-Regiments Nr. 96. The 2. Bataillon was from Reuss and the F?silier-Bataillon was from Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt.

When IR 153 was formed, a Prussian battalion replaced the Altenburg battalion in IR 96, a a newly raised Altenburg battalion joined the old battalion and a Prussian battalion to form the new regiment.

I have 1886:

There is a Graf (!) von Beust is listed on pg. 30 as a Gen. Lt. under "Adjutanten der Deutschen Fursten" (not a bad job that).

General Adj. d. Grandduke of Saxony:

Black Eagle 1, (something I can not i.d.)EK2, Johan. order-knight, BL1,JVAS1,SLVM,MWK1b,NA1,NL3,NgL1,LEK1,OEK1,OV1,RWA2c., RW2,RA1mBr,SA1,GSF1mBr,GSDK1,HSEH1,SS1,SJ1,WK2

phew!

Edited by Ulsterman

Hi UM,

that would be Generallieutenant Friedrich Hermann Graf von Beust.

Looking again at our Baron, the Litzen on his collar and the "embossed" (gepre?te) appearance of the half-moons on his epaulettes suggests that of the Sachsen-Altenburg Kontingent pre 1866.

Regards

Glenn

Dave, Ulsterman, and Glenn:

Thank you very much for your research and all of the very useful imformation. So, if I understand correctly, this is Generallieutenant Friedrich Hermann Graf von Beust pre-1866.

He certainly had on heck of a career; acquired a lot of hardware, a super job, and an elevation from Freiherr to Graf!

Wow, I wonder if he actually did something important in the 1863, 1866, and 1870 campaigns, or if his being born into the right social status did more to help him along. I'm sure that it was probably a combination of both!

Fascinating!

Thanks to all of you for your help. You have made this small photo very dear to me. :)

Best regards,

"SPM"

yeah- sorry to have muddied the waters there, I was just so impressed by the Graf -and his awards- I posted it.

The picture was probably taken @ 1860-66, which would fit for a mid 50s year old man.

Does the Gotha have anything else on the Freiherr from Altenberg?

Edited by Ulsterman

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks:

Thanks to Dave Danner and Google Book Search! I found Geneological information for my fellow.

The "Neues Allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon, Band I" (1859) lists "Freih. Thilo, geb. 1821, herz. sachsen-altenb. Premieurlieutenant". This is undoubtedly the fellow in the photograph (CDV). It is interesting that he is listed as "Thilo", as his signature looks like "Tilo".

Take a look at Dave Danner's links to Google Book Search. The is a wealth of information available! I will be able to research a great many items that have been laying around.

Best regards,

"SPM"

SPM,

I had another look for Tilo Freiherr v. Beust in the Gotha Handbooks. For some reason he was not listed in the 1914 edition of the Freiherren but checking back to the 1908 edition he was listed as dying on 7 June 1900 as a Prussian Major a.D. To further confuse matters his entry in the necrology section of the Milit?r-Wochenblatt lists him as a Sachsen-Altenburg Contingent Hauptmann a.D. He was clearly a field officer as shown in his photogtaph. His name is spelt as Tilo in the Gotha.

Regards

Glenn

• 3 years later...

I surely know about Schloss Moderwitz--my great granfather Bernhard von Beust was born there. He was one of the numerous von Beust family.

(We are only distantly related the famous Count Ferdinand von Beust who was an important figure in the German and Austrian

politics of the 19th century. von Beusts are still around in German politiics cf Ole von Beust).

Moderwitz is a small town outside Neustadt an der Orla in Thuringia. It is close to Apolda, where the Doberman dog was

developed by Dobermann the man(a sacred spot for some of us--I have three Dobermans myself)

The "Schloss Moderwitz" name for the house was by way of being a bit of fun, a reflection of our family's tendency to make

off the wall jokes that we keep to ourselves. The house is not a schloss(castle) at all

but a rather nice country house--grandiose perhaps, but not a castle! It still stands. I have a photo if anyone cares.attached file

My great great grandfather Max Freiherr von Beust was an army officer himself, but since he died in 1832 and the experts say this

uniform is from the late nineteenth century, this could not be Max. On the other hand, Max(who was the master of Schloss Moderwitz

in his time) had eleven children. So it seems quite likely that this is one of his numerous sons--not my great grandfather

however. I know what he looks like and this is not he.

I have family records that say that someone named Tilo von B did indeed reside at Schloss Moderwitz(someone is writing about going

to visit him) later in the 19th century--

presumably one of Max's sons who stayed(my great grandfather went first to the USA eventually and others of Max's numerous

children did, also(eg Agnes von B who married Adolh Douai, a well known figure in American education, one of the early introducers

of kindergarten in the USA).

But I do not have a complete list of Max's children and I have no way to know whether the Tilo of my family records

was really named Tilo or if that was some sort of nickname, nor do I know whether he was an army officer,

My great grandfather was--but in the Union Army of the Civil War. He was an army doctor at the Harper's Ferry Hospital

with the rank of major(I have an oil portrait of him in uniform)

If anyone can identify the man in the picture , I would surely be interested.

Thanks

Robert E. Greene

QUOTE(Schie?platzmeister @ Mar 12 2007, 14:33 )

He would be in a Prussian rank list, not a Saxon one. As the SEHO in first place indicates, he was apparently from one of the small Saxon duchies which were part of the Prussian Army under the various protocols and conventions of the late 1860s. I don't know where Schlo? Moderwitz was, but Moderwitz was in the Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. He doesn't appear to have a White Falcon, though, which would be first if he were from that state.

There are no Beusts in the 1875 edition of the Handbuch ?ber den preussischen Staat, which lists civil officials, and I don't have any early military ranklists either, so I can't be of much more help.