News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steinhauer Oakleaves ?

We know that Steinhauer manufactured Oakleaves during WW2 from their presence in Steinhauer's 1940/41 catalogue but most collectors will exercise caution and in the absence of firm provenance assume that any S&L Oakleaves they see are 57 sets.

Many S&L Oakleaves have a distinctive flaw presumably caused by damage to the die. The resulted is a raised flaw along the right hand edge of the centre leaf, between the edge of the leaf and the raised rib of the lower leaf.

Have a look at this section from an original wartime photo. Look at the right hand edge of the centre leaf . Note that the reflection of the polished outer edge of the leaf seems broken in the centre at exactly this point - by this very flaw ?

Godet Oakleaves had a more obvious gap between the edge of the leaf and the curved rib so I can't think what, on a Godet set, would cause this break in the polished reflective surface of the edge of the centre leaf. Steinhauer Oaks have this rib running hard against the edge of the leaf with little or no gap.

Also worth noting that this is a very early award, sitting on a 3/4 eye Ritterkreuz. Steinhauer Oaks were never subsequently authorised as official awards and would only have been available for a short period between their introduction and the prohibition on retail sales and would therefore be "early"

Hi Gordon.

I openly profess to know little about Oaks, but it appears to me as though the edge of the leaf above the one you refer to also shares the same feature - a broken reflection - midway through its outer edge.

But maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

Marshall

Edited by Biro

Hi Marshall,

You are quite correct, but that is the exact spot where the top end of the curved rib, a solid feature, merges with the polished edge of the leaf so a "break" in the smooth polished edge would be expected.

I can't think of anything that would cause such a "break" in the polished edge of that centre portion.

The Steinhauer design is the only thing I can think of that explains it. But of course, photos can be deceptive.

Hi Gordon.

I openly profess to know little about Oaks, but it appears to me as though the edge of the leaf above the one you refer to also shares the same feature - a broken reflection - midway through its outer edge.

But maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

Marshall

Gordon

It's so hard to tell based on such an image. Perhaps it would help if you could add a pic of S&L oaks at the same angle and see how the image compares?

I would benefit from learning more about S&L Oaks and their life pre-May 1945 and it's not a subject that has been approached in much detail.

Do you know who the recipient is in the photo you are using and the date being awarded the oakleaves?

Rich

We know that Steinhauer manufactured Oakleaves during WW2 from their presence in Steinhauer's 1940/41 catalogue but most collectors will exercise caution and in the absence of firm provenance assume that any S&L Oakleaves they see are 57 sets.

Many S&L Oakleaves have a distinctive flaw presumably caused by damage to the die. The resulted is a raised flaw along the right hand edge of the centre leaf, between the edge of the leaf and the raised rib of the lower leaf.

Hi,Gordon!! I am looking for Ritterkreuz with swords and orkleaves.Price is about 40.000$!!! I am studying Orkleaves every time.It's a very difficult!! FAKE orkleaves or real orkleaves???

• 1 month later...

Also worth noting that this is a very early award, sitting on a 3/4 eye Ritterkreuz. Steinhauer Oaks were never subsequently authorised as official awards and would only have been available for a short period between their introduction and the prohibition on retail sales and would therefore be "early"

Hi Gordon, Interesting that you say S & L Oaks were never officially authorised I never realised that as they were authorised for the RK. What, if any reason were they not authorised, as they certainly made them, was it a quality issue as described in your original posting or some other reason?

regards

Alex