News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI Award Certificate to German Soldier

Can anybody tell me what this is please?

The recipient served with 3 Ers Machine Gun Company during WWI & during WWII was initially an infantryman during the nvasion & occupation of Poland, being discharged in 1940 & called up again in 1944, serving as a member of Totenkopf Wach Batl Sachsenhausen.

Guest Rick Research

And an interesting WW2-dated issue late award.

The tax stamp has been peeled off of your document:

This is the medal

Thanks, my cyrillic's learned from beer labels (not joking) & it was'nt up to this.

The stamp looks like it's fallen off through damp rather than been torn off or otherwise deliberately removed, as the wehrpas it was folded in has suffered badly from getting wet.

• 2 years later...

I thought it would be interesting to give some more info about this "forgotten " medal

By the sources I have the 1915-18 medal was awarded to about 199 000 foreign soldiers ( mostly Germans) and ab 50 000 to Bulgarien citizens.

There was three verisons Fighter - Non Fighter- For killed in Action

Here first is the backside , since the front already showed above ( medal same for all three, only the ribbons differs)

Christer

Edited by christerd

But know its getting interesting :jumping:

Here is the two rarer awards !

To the left for Killed soldiers and to the right for non fighting .

I havent got any numbers for awarded Black or white stripes but they are hard to find , especially the one with the black stripe :rolleyes:

Christer

Edited by christerd

And now the most exiting !!

A document to a KIA :speechless1: This is the first doc I ever seen

It came with the black stripe medal shown above. sorry to say it was to big for my scanner so I have to use the camera , I hope you can still make it out

First the really big document (compare to the others earlier in the thread)

Christer

Edited by christerd

Very nice! :cheers: :cheers:

Dimitar Nikolov Gostilnicharov, born in 1887 in Razgrad, Razgrad district, participated in the war 1915/1918 as a soldier in the lines of the 19th Infantry Shumenski Regiment. As a sign of gratitude and remembrance for that participation, HM the King presents him with the commemorative medal for that war, on red ribbon with black stripe, and with the right for wearing it by his wife Penka Dimitrova, living in Razgrad. 20 December 1937