News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maori trooper honoured 64 years after his death

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- A New Zealand Maori trooper was posthumously honored Saturday for courage in battle during WWII -- 64 years after he was denied a top gallantry award despite a commendation signed by four commanding generals.

Britain's Prince Andrew, the Duke of York and second son of Queen Elizabeth II, attended functions in New Zealand's North Island city of Rotorua commemorating the bravery of Lance Sgt. Haane Manahi, who died in 1987.

Representing his mother, who is also New Zealand's Queen, the Duke handed Manahi's son, Geoffrey, a ceremonial sword, altar cloth and a citation from the Queen.

Manahi, an indigenous Maori, had earlier been awarded a Distinguished Conduct Medal for his courage under fire -- though he had been nominated for a Victoria Cross, the highest award for bravery in battle in the then-British Empire and later the British Commonwealth.

Manahi won the commendation for his actions against overwhelming odds in the bloody battle for Takrouna, a fortified citadel in Tunisia, North Africa, in 1943.

"In my opinion it was the most gallant feat of arms I witnessed in the course of the war and I was bitterly disappointed when Sgt. Manahi, whom we recommended for a VC, only received a DCM," Lieut. Gen. Sir Brian Horrocks, Manahi's wartime commander, had written earlier.

Why the commendation was downgraded has never been revealed. Many Maori in New Zealand believe a clerk in Britain's War Office was responsible.

A bid to have the Victoria Cross awarded posthumously was taken to Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace last year, but again Manahi was denied the medal. The queen cited a 1949 decree by her father, King George VI, that no more wartime Victoria Cross medals would be awarded.

Britain's monarch, however, decided to issue a special citation for bravery and present the other ceremonial gifts to Manahi's family.

Geoffrey Manahi, accepting the gifts, said the ceremony marked the end of the family's long battle.

"Another fight has been fought since Takrouna, and that has been the fight for recognition for deeds committed in the heat of battle ... (and) that fight has finally been won," he told guest and dignitaries, including Prime Minister Helen Clark and several government ministers.

Well, although he deserved the VC, a more interesting issue (in my opinion, anyway) is the retro-active awarding of such medals. A dangerous practice, in my mind.

There are inumerable reasons why a person may have been given a 'down-graded' award. And with so many records missing, destroyed, hidden, etc., well, this becomes a very dangerous area.

Just my two cents on a subject that i think needs some serious discussion.

Sam.

Well, although he deserved the VC, a more interesting issue (in my opinion, anyway) is the retro-active awarding of such medals. A dangerous practice, in my mind.

There are inumerable reasons why a person may have been given a 'down-graded' award. And with so many records missing, destroyed, hidden, etc., well, this becomes a very dangerous area.

Just my two cents on a subject that i think needs some serious discussion.

Sam.

He has'nt been retro-actively awarded the VC, as is mentioned in the first post in the thread -

"A bid to have the Victoria Cross awarded posthumously was taken to Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace last year, but again Manahi was denied the medal. The queen cited a 1949 decree by her father, King George VI, that no more wartime Victoria Cross medals would be awarded.

Britain's monarch, however, decided to issue a special citation for bravery and present the other ceremonial gifts to Manahi's family."