News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Grabendolch / Trench Dagger

Tony

Hello,

Is this a trench dagger?

The scabbard has been made to hook on the boot, belt or similar and it appears to have been done a long time ago but the grips look unused. Could it be from the Great War, between the wars, 2nd World War or post 1945?

There are no markings on the blade or grips.

Thanks

Tony

Is this not in the style of the PUMA knives.... its very, very nice Bwana.

So you don't think it's a standard kitchen knife then? I'm just wondering if was done post war for hunting or something.

Tony

So you don't think it's a standard kitchen knife then? I'm just wondering if was done post war for hunting or something.

Tony

Hello Tony,

According to my " German Military Fighting knives '14/'45 ( By Gordon A. Hughes, 1992), I made some scans. Maybe you can check the measures.

Jef

Jef,

Thanks for that, those pictures look exactly like the one I have, the measurements differ slightly though.

The complete length is indeed 264mm without the scabbard, but the blade is only 147mm (3mm here, 3mm there). As the scabbard is a perfect match for the one you posted, I do believe I have a pukka unmarked fighting knife. I'd have been well chuffed if it was 100% Great War period though.

Tony

Tony,

That is a purely WW2 trench knife with the belt/boot clip. This pattern of knife is similar to some issue WW1 knives, but would have had a larger quillion with a small hooked handguard. In addition, spring clip on scabbards were common in WW2, but were not used in WW1. Still a really nice piece.

Dan