News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Large Canadian medals

Hi all,

I just remembered a memory from my younger years... I was about ten or eleven years old at the time. I used to hang around at a coin shop in Florida that was owned by an old friend of our family. He taught me tons about coins, currency, jewelry and all that sort of thing. One day I saw he had some medals in one of his cases. I asked and he told me they were Canadian. He said something about them being used in parades and such... but these were huge! they were probably about 4 inches across and then the ribbons were probably another 5 or so inches high off the medals. There were several of them... no idea what they were as even now I'm not that up on Canadian awards.

But it was always something that I've wondered about. What would something like these have been used for? Do any of you have any examples of these or know of any? :unsure: It's something I've never seen before or since that day.

Thanks, :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Nothing military.

Hi Laurence,

Actually I do know they were military. Just have no idea what they were used for. I only wish I'd had the $$'s to buy them all those years ago... might have been something really rare. No idea. Just popped into my head the other night and I thought what better place to try and find out but here. :beer:

The only thing that comes to mind are some of the NATO Volksmarche and wandering club medals, very common through the 60s and 70s.

Hi Michael,

No, these were definitely military medals. Was told they were Canadian. Did the Canadians award Stars for WWII like the British did? :unsure: As I believe several looked just like those battle stars... at least those are the ones that stand out in my memory. This would have been around 1972-1973 when I saw them by the way.

Guest Darrell

Dan, are you sure they were military "medals" persay?

They may have been those round medallions and such with lace and ribbons sometimes used with the English Kilt gear worn on parades and such?

Edited by Darrell

Dan, are you sure they were military "medals" persay?

They may have been those round medallions and such with lace and ribbons sometimes used with the English Kilt gear worn on parades and such?

Nope... definitely looked military. As I say most were just like the British battle star medals of WWII. Just huge versions of them... big, thick and heavy but with the same types of ribbons as British awards have. But was told these were Canadian.

Again no idea what they could have been... it's been forever and a day ago. Not a biggie if we can't figure it out but sure would love to know after all this time.

Thanks, :beer: