News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix du Combattant

Megan

• 2 years later...

I know, another old thread dug up from the past, but this one hits the nail on the head so to speak...

Is there a way to identify or date these crosses? What I understand is the medal was instituted between World Wars, but anyone having a combatant card was entitled to it, back dated to WW1 and up to ...?

So, the question for me is this: Is there a way to distingush when one was made or awarded? Are there any identifying differences between the years?

Thanks!

Tim

• 10 months later...

Hello Tim,

While I can't profer any further information on how to accurately date these awards, here is another version of the Combatant Cross produced by Janvier-Berchot. It seems to be a more defined strike than the previously illustrated example from the Paris Mint and it has the triangle JB mint mark on the reverse of the lower arm.

Close-up of the mint mark to follow.

Regards, Rob

Edited by RobW

Hi Rob,

Yes, I have a few of these and another one on the way. These are a simple, sharp looking design IMO.

This one is Janvier-Berchot, with a distinct J&B in the pyramid. Don't pay any attention to the faux fourragere. :rolleyes: I know the Combattant's Cross doesn't rate a fourragere, but the seller's PIC's weren't that good and I was hoping for a fourragere that actually belonged to a Croix de Guerre T.O.E. :whistle: Clever guy, made one out of braided nylon. :banger:

Oh well, at least the medal is in really nice shape and the maker's mark is very nice. :cheers:

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Waiting on this one. Supposed to be Arthur Betrand, but the mark dosen't look like his from the PIC. Have to wait to see it in-hand.

Tim

Hey Tim,

When this one arrives, could you post a close-up of the possible Arthus Bertrand mark. I am doing some related French mint mark research and it would be helpful to compare the possible differences and similarities.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Certainly, as soon as I get it and get some PIC's taken. I too am curious as to the marking on this one. Arthur Bertrand, not so sure but, I am using a site reference and he may have used more than one, I just have to wait and see what I got in hand first.

Have you tried this link yet?

http://www.925-1000.com/index.html

http://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html

Tim :cheers:

Hi Rob,

Certainly, as soon as I get it and get some PIC's taken. I too am curious as to the marking on this one. Arthur Bertrand, not so sure but, I am using a site reference and he may have used more than one, I just have to wait and see what I got in hand first.

Have you tried this link yet?

http://www.925-1000.com/index.html

http://www.925-1000....ench_marks.html

Tim :cheers:

Hello Tim,

Yes I have been to that site before. As you have indicated Arthus Bertrand has a number of marks as did the other major French medal manufacturers of the time.

I am aware that Chobillon, Delande, and Bertrand all had a number of different marks that were used so that makes the identification all the more problematic yet at the same time all the more fun.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...

Well, believe it or not, I just now received the item. :43:

Haven't had the time to take any real good shots but, looping it, the mark looks to be a triangle with M & N with some design above the apersand symbol. Not sure what it is yet, but will post a little larger PIC of the same design below taken from another seller's piece.

I could find M&M and M.N. but no M&N. So...anyone?

Tim

Here it is. I still think the mark is an M & N with something above the apersand symbol. Lighting can make it look like an M&M, but the right-hand letter is IMO, a "N".

Tim

• 2 months later...