News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals from the personal Lackey Queen-Mother Emma of the Netherlands

New in my collections are the decorations awarded to the personal lackey of Queen-Mother Emma of the Netherlands, his ceremonial sword, documents and photo's.

Here are some photo's:

beekers1.jpg

2hrk1ar.jpg

The lackey received the following medals:

Dutch - Silver wedding medal 1926

Waldeck Pyrmont - Merit medal in silver

Luxembourg - Civil and Military merit medal in silver

Belgium - Medal for foreign subjects in bronze

beekers3.jpg

beekers4.jpg

Arrrgh ! Of course the Belgian court could NOT deliver a Flemish (= Dutch) language certificate to a Dutchman ! That "household" was just to daft :lol: ...

Just curious : did you have to slay the lackey with his own sword to get at the set ? I seem to detect a spot of blood on it :o

Kidding, of course :D ... Great group of medals and documents, Herr General, and congratulations on acquiring it !!!

Cheers,

Hendrik

Edited by Hendrik

I even see a belgian blooddonation medal!

But could you tell us where and how you obtained this medalgroup??

Surely since it's so complete with both the medals as well as the certificates.

Kind regards,

Jacky

I even see a belgian blooddonation medal!

Errrr... that's the Netherlands Red Cross Blood Donor Medal. It was awarded from 1971 to 1977. Because of that I don't think it belongs to this group.

Ch.,

Erik

Oh A dutch red cross medal, well it looks almost the same as the belgian medal.

And I know only the belgian medal, which are still awarded now, if I'm correct.

But thanks for correcting me.

No problemo :-)

Herr General, can you please post a larger scan of the obverse and reverse of the table medal?

Hi Erik,

Ik wil make a scan in a few minutes. (I have to boot another computer for that!) I will also scan the documents.

The table medal is for the "Nationaal fonds voor bijzondere nooden" and it show the Ridderzaal on the front. On the back it says "Tentoonstelling 1938 met dank aan C. H. Beekes"

The dutch medal was awarded 775 times. Does anyone have info about the other medals?

Hello,

the Waldeck Silver Merit Medal was altogether awarded 5422 times.

You can deduct around 4200 with swords - that makes 1222 for the civil version.

greetings

eitze

But I'm wondering about why he didn't get any houseorder medal....

Nowadays, since 1969, the order of loyalty and merit/service is awarded in two grades for 25 and 40 years of service.

But then, they must have had something else to get from the royal house....

perhaps, Eric could learn us more about now and then within the house-order.........???

Kind regards,

Jacky

Nowadays, since 1969, the order of loyalty and merit/service is awarded in two grades for 25 and 40 years of service.

perhaps, Eric could learn us more about now and then within the house-order.........???

Kind regards,

Jacky

1926-1938 is only twelve years. I still haven't found out more about Beekes, but if he served less than 25 years he couldn't even qualify for a bronze medal of honour in the Family Order of Orange. For a lackey he would have gotten the silver cross of merit (now the order of loyalty and merit in silver) at 25 years of service, the bronze medal of honour if he had quit before 40 years of service. At 40 years of service he would have received the gold cross of merit and leaving after 40 years would have gotten him either the bronze of silver medal of merit. Let's not forget: he was only the lackey of the Queen-Mother (who died 1934) and later on he was just a mere foot lackey with the royal household.

Thanks for the comments, I also think that he served to short for any other medals/decorations.

Here's Beekes in the back (left person) (during a visit to Valkenberg in 1923 )

4ctlm6v.jpg

Does anyone know when he got the medal from Luxembourg? Was there a state visit in those years? I have no documents about this medal. Erik, do you know where I could find the KB about this?

Thanks for the comments, I also think that he served to short for any other medals/decorations.

Here's Beekes in the back (left person) (during a visit to Valkenberg in 1923 )

4ctlm6v.jpg

Does anyone know when he got the medal from Luxembourg? Was there a state visit in those years? I have no documents about this medal. Erik, do you know where I could find the KB about this?

Unfortunately I have no clue. Maybe he didn't ask permission to accept and wear the decoration?

Kind regards,

Jacky

From what I can see now he served from 1908 (photo taken as a lackey on age 28) untill 1938 (received the Belgium medal for servants of foreign courts).

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal House Archive told me that Beekes served from 1901 untill 1934. After the dead of the Queen Mother several servants received the House Order, beekes wasn't among them.

What I find strange is the fact that he got the Belgium award 4 years after his retirement....

• 2 years later...