News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Urgent request!

Richard Gordon

Guys,

I need your help and fast!!

After a long search I have finally tracked down the Spanish award 'Cruz de Guerra' which was awarded to Luftwaffe aircrew, etc during the Civil War. Not only that but it is cased as well!

Can you tell me if these were awarded post war? Can you tell me, or show me how a war-time example should be, in terms of configuration of hinge/pin and attachment of the front plate?

Also, does anyone here have a case that I can compare with?

Thanks!

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

Sorry to be late , but I answer you on WAF.

Yes, this cross has been awarded after the war and I think (to be confirmed) still is. the manufacture is not the same. The cross I shown on WAF is just a sample. other do exist, with different attach systems.

The cross you shown looks good to me, thus the case . I know some period pics showing Richthofen awarding the cross to some LC members. the cross are in case , but it is impossible to determine the datas of the cases. May be spanish members could help you (us) on this award.

Friendly

jacques

Sorry to be late , but I answer you on WAF.

Yes, this cross has been awarded after the war and I think (to be confirmed) still is. the manufacture is not the same. The cross I shown on WAF is just a sample. other do exist, with different attach systems.

The cross you shown looks good to me, thus the case . I know some period pics showing Richthofen awarding the cross to some LC members. the cross are in case , but it is impossible to determine the datas of the cases. May be spanish members could help you (us) on this award.

Friendly

jacques

The War Cross awarded to LC members was a SCW-only award. After the war the medal was split into different classes and the original design was changed.

Best regards

Looking inside my spanish medals drawer, I discover that I owned not one but three War crosses  catjava.gif

the top two look the same , and the bottom one has another design.

jacques

Jacques, is the sunburst of the bottom cross matte grey or bright silver? If it is bright silver, your medal is probably a 1942 cross for senior oficers (majors, Lt. colonels and colonels). 1942 crosses for generals had a golden sunburst, and junior officers received crosses with bronze sunburst. NCO's and enlisted men received a different cross hanging from a ribbon.

Sorry for the bad picture but I have no scanner.

Best regards

Edited by Panzerpionier

• 3 months later...

Jacques/Marcus, thanks for the comments.

Regarding the different styles of central medallion, if I recall correctly, wasn't this down to the different makers? Ega?a being the most known ( I have no idea who the other makers are ) and recognised by the enamelled berries?

Rich

According to the cross details, is a good one to me.

The berries should disappear easily with normal use and wear, so they should be no an absolute rule.

Best regards