News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Awards of the U.S. Navy Cross to Soviet Personnel

To all:

Does anyone know how many awards of the U.S. Navy Cross were made to Soviet personnel during World War II/The Great Patriotic War? I have a few period images which clearly show it being worn by Soviet naval personnel (a HSU among them).

Fellow forum member emaier3 has documented 22 awards of the U.S. Navy's Distinguished Service Medal to Soviet personnel during this period, but had no knowledge of the Navy Cross figures.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

slava1stclass

10 were awarded. The Home of Heroes website lists foreign Navy Cross citations here, but only has citations for two of the Soviets. The names and ranks below are listed as they are on that site, because I think that's how they were set forth in Navy orders. However, I have annotated them with correct names and added links where available to bios (albeit in Russian). Seven of the 10 appear to be Heroes of the Soviet Union.

• Avdeev, M.V. Lieutenant Colonel - Mikhail Vasilyevich Avdeev (Михаил Васильевич Авдеев) was a Soviet Naval aviator with 17 kills. He was awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union on June 14, 1942 (No. 858).
    • Basisty, N.E., Vice Admiral - Mikola Efremovich Basisty (Микола Єфремович Басистий, 1898-1971) was a Ukrainian naval officer who commanded surface warfare units in the Black Sea. He was commander of the Black Sea Fleet from 1948 to 1951 and deputy commander of the Soviet Navy from 1951 to 1956.
    • Fisanovich, I. I. Captain Second Rank - Izrail Ilyich Fisanovich (Израиль Ильич Фисанович) was a Soviet Jew and commander of the submarine M-172 of the Northern Fleet. He was awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union on April 17, 1942 (No. 658).
    • Greshilove. M.V.G. Captain-Lieutenant - a typo in either the Navy's list or the Home of Heroes list. This should be Mikhail Vasil'evich Greshilov (Михаил Васильевич Грешилов). He commanded the submarines M-35 and Shch-215. He was awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union on May 16, 1944 (No. 2912).
    • Gurin, A.I. Captain Second Rank - Anton Iosifovich Gurin (Антон Иосифович Гурин), another naval aviator and Hero of the Soviet Union (July 8, 1945, No. 7595).
    • Guskov, E.V. Captain Second Rank - Е.В. Гуськов. Apparently a commander of torpedo boats and torpedo boat units, though I can't find much other than references in passing in articles about various combat actions.
    • Kucherov, S. G. Rear Admiral - Stepan Grigor'evich Kucherov (Степан Григорьевич Кучеров). Awarded the Navy Cross "for extraordinary heroism in action as commander, of the Soviet White Sea Flotilla." Later Chief of the Naval Staff. Most post-war positions were academic. Two Orders of Lenin, 3 Red Banners, 1 Patriotic War, 1 Nakhimov 1st Class, 1 Ushakov 1st Class.
    • Kurzenkov, S. G. Captain Northern Fleet - Sergei Georgiyevich Kurzenkov (Сергей Георгиевич Курзенков), another aviator (12 kills). He was awarded the HSU on July 24, 1943 (No. 1044).
    • Tatarenko, D. M. Captain - Dmitrii Mitrofanovich Tatarenko (Дмитрий Митрофанович Татаренко), yet another naval aviator (at least 16 kills, but possibly more). The website says he was awarded the HSU on July 24, 1943, but it also says number 855. That seems inconsistent with some of the other numbers and dates here, so if someone has another source, maybe he or she could check? The picture on the link, by the way, has a good shot of the Navy Cross.
    • Travkin, I. V. Captain-Lieutenant - Ivan Vasil'evich Travkin (Иван Васильевич Травкин), commander of the submarines Shch-303 in 1942-43 and K-52 in 1944-45. Awarded the HSU on April 20, 1945 (No. 5089).