News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mecklenburg-Schwerin - Order of the Griffon

Hello,

1) order of the Griffon

In my search in a Belgian archive i have stumbled upon several awardings of the order of the Griffon (Mecklemburg - Schwerin) towards Belgian subjects.

Is there any way to verify these awardings? All awards are to see in direct relation towards the yourney of the Grand-Duke of Mecklemburg-Schwerin through central-Africa during 1908/1909

The awards however are first rendered during 1912.

2) Another award in this case is a award of the so called "la croix de service en argent de la couronne des Wendes", what was this for a award?

All help is much appreciated to point me into the correct direction.

Cordial greetings + thanks in advance,

Guest Rick Research

Ohhhhh nooooooooooo! Even the Belgians got VERdienst and DIEnst screwed up! Aaaaaaaaaaagggh! :banger:

That last would be the VERDIENSTkreuz (MERIT not SERVICE) in silver of the Order of the Wend Crown.

"Seeheld" here has all the Mecklenburg-Schwerin rolls. I've only got partial annual lists for the Wend Crown to native Mecklenburgers and annual statistics (numbers) for PART of the years the Griffin was awarded.

Hello,

Thank you Ricky => yes our evil ancestors did apprently not find out what the real name was ;-)

I would be very pleased to see the Belgians confirmed that i have, so please Seeheld read this and lets start

I will drop in a few names already to get it started when possible ;-)

* Collyns

* Van der Cruyssen

* Antoinet

* Treutels (this one is mispelled it seems and could also be Suntels)

Im curious iff thes eone can be confirmed from the listst ? The dates of award should be arround 1912.

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

yes I can help you.

Collyns, Jacques Joseph Louis - Brunelles, Staatsinspektor des Belgisch-Kongo - Ehrenkreuz des Greifenordens am 29.03.1912

Cruyssen, Maurice-Pierre van der - Anvers, Distriktskommissar - Ritterkreuz mit Krone des Greifenordens am 29.03.1912

Antoine, Henri - Anvers, Leutnant bei der Schutztruppe im Belgisch-Kongo - Ritterkreuz des Greifenordens am 29.03.1912

The other person is not listed. Only this 3 persons are awarded at this time.

Best wishes

Seeheld

Hi Seeheld,

Many thanks !!! => it is much appreciated. Here are some otehr names that are also in relation towards that very voyage. Could you also confirm these?

* Baudelet O.A. - Knigth with crown

* Dercke E.J.V. - Knight with crown

* Benaerts H.A. - Knigth with crown

* Fuchs - ?

* Engh - Knigth with crown

* Boyton - Knight

* Thielemans - Silver medal

* Bernstein Alexis - Silver medal

* Bouchaut - ?

* L?tken Otto Wilhelm - Silver medal

* Ogg - Knight

* Boisacq A.E. - Knight

* Grasset F.A. - Knight

* Veriter - Knight

Looking at the names i do think that also some foreigners in Congo service could be amongst them. The date of award is probably arround 28/08/1911.

* I can add for you that the city behind Collyns should be Bruxelles

Cordial greetings and thank you already :cheers:

Edited by Stijn David

Baudelet, Olivier Anselme - Br?ssel, Oberadjunkt im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz mit der Krone des Greifenordens am 21.03.1908

Dercke, Emile Jules Vincent - Mreira, Oberadjunkt im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz mit der Krone des Greifenordens am 21.03.1908

Benaets, Herman Alfred - Mons, Kreischef 1. Klasse im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz mit der Krone des Greifenordens am 21.03.1908

Fuchs, Alexander Felix - St. Gilles, Vice-Gouverneur-G?n?ral du Congo, Pr?sident du Tribunal d'appel de Boma - Komturkreuz des Greifenordens am 19.10.1908

Engh, Dr. jur., Martin - Kristiania, Chef de zone de 1ere class an Congo Belge - Ritterkreuz mit der Krone des Greifenordens am 19.10.1908

Boukaert, Philipp Louis Maria - Oudenburg, Kapit?n im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz des Greifenordens am 19.10.1908

Ogg, Jean S?raphin-Joseph - Anvers, Unterleutnant im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz des Greifenordens am 21.03.1908

Boisacq, Auguste Edmond - Br?ssel, Milit?rbeamter im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz des Greifenordens am 21.03.1908

Grasset, Fran?ois Ami - Lausanne, Verwaltungsbeamter im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz des Greifenordens am 21.03.1908

V?riter, Georg - Gand, Unterleutnant im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz des Greifenordens am 04.03.1909

Bayton, Eduard Axel Svante - Storwik, Polizei-Unterleutnant im Dienste des Kongostaates - Ritterkreuz des Greifenordens am 19.10.1908

Thielemans - Commis-chef im Dienste des Kongostaates - silberne (gro?e) Verdienstmedaille am 19.10.1908

Bernstein, Alexis - Commis-chef 1st Klasse im Dienste des Kongostaates - silberne (kleine) Verdienstmedaille FF III. am 19.10.1908

L?thken - Kapit?n im Dienste des Kongostaates - silberne (kleine) Verdienstmedaille FF III. am 19.10.1908

This is what I found out from my Lists. All datas in my list is written arccording the rolls from the archives. This means differencies between yours and my datas are not my mistakes. This mistakes are mispelled in the rolls. But thank you very much for your corrections.

Best regards

Frank alias Seeheld

Hello Frank,

Thank you very much, all these awards are in direct relation with the expedition of the Grand -Duke and for me offcoarse of large interest becaus eof the international awarding (in these cases => between the Grandduchie of Mecklemburg-Schwerin and the Congo Freestate and vice versa.)

Do you have any idea on total numbers of awards of the listed awards for Mecklemburg Schwerin ? It would be nice to see howmuch of the total went towards persons in Belgian service (or more exact in the service of the Congo freestate)

Does anyone have images of for example the following awards?

* Ritterkreuz mit Krone - Greifenorden

* Ehrenkreuz des Greifenorden

* silberne (gro?e) Verdienstmedaille

* silberne (kleine) Verdienstmedaille FF III

Did Bernd also forward you the latest newsletter from SKF?

Thank you in advance :cheers:

Cordial greetings,

No I got no information.

At the moment it is not possible for me to check out all awards to belgian persons because I leave Germany next week to singapore for 5 months. I'm sorry.

But I will show you images of the decorations.

Ritterkreuz mit der Krone

Hi Frank,

Thank you very much for these pictures and information. I can only wish you the very best in Singapore and mayby after that we can work something out togheter about subjects in belgian service (not necesairely Belgians an sich) in Congo who has been awarded a award from M-S.

Cordial greetings,

• 3 months later...
    • 6 years later...

Dear friends, some notable German generals of World War II were awarde with these order during the imperial period, like Bruno Loerzer or Konrad Zander. Do you know if this Order was a military deoration awarded for war acts, or a civil decoration for peace time?

Thanks.