News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Communist Romania Prison Officer Tunic.

Hallo Gents, :beer:

I would like to post some pictures of a Romanian Prison Officer Uniform that I found.

It consists of two jackets and one pants, condition as in the pictures.

Rank unknown, and no headgear. :(

All I know is that the Prison Officers / Guards / Wardens / Screws :P came under the Military Authorities and at the moment is in the process of being re-organised as a Civil Unit.

Up to now it was not uncommon to see labour gangs working in the city streets, digging trenches for the Gas Company, Water Company etc to be guarded by Prison officers armed with Kalashnikovs :speechless1: of which I am wery of taking pictures of ;)

Communist Period Jacket 1, Front.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

That is a great find, Kev! What era is this uniform?

I for one, am in favor of the "chaingangs". It costs a lot of money to house and feel these criminals. At least the public is finally getting something back from them!

Paul

That is a great find, Kev! What era is this uniform?

I for one, am in favor of the "chaingangs". It costs a lot of money to house and feel these criminals. At least the public is finally getting something back from them!

Paul

Hallo Paul R :beer:

not sure I want to be "feeling" any chain gang members :P the Romanian Prison labour groups are quite decent, it gets the prisoners out of the prison for a few hours, there are no chains, family members come with food (if from the locality) escapes are very seldom. Most are petty criminals. Prisons were a grim place in the more recent past, but are improvong slowly (not to the deluxe standard demanded by British lags and Western European prisoners.)

With regards the jacket I believe from the Communist 1980s, I will attach pictures of the second one shortly.

Detail on the cuff of Jacket Number 1.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Kev,

Nice uniforms. Thanks for posting the pictures. I am always interested in seeing where the ex communist countries went with their uniforms after the communist period ended.

Regards,

Gordon

Hallo Gordon :cheers:

thanks for your comments, while outside my collecting field I just hate to see stuff getting dumped, Romanian Communist items such as uniforms are not so often found and even with fair "wear and tear" are a record of the past.

For example its virtually impossible to find items of WW1 & WW2 uniforms. especially belonging to the lower ranks, as these items have been "recycled" through the working-class population on the farms etc.. and worn into rags :o

Eventually I will put them up for sale as they take up to much space, and my passion (after the wife :love: ) are medals and decorations.