News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for Valor - opinions please

Dont normaly pick up Soviet stuff - but this was interesting to me. It may be an outright reproduction, but I dont know. If original, what is your opinion of the writing on the pack and even more importantly - what does it say?

Dear Charles,

it seems, that someone (mis)used a "Medal for Valour" (without a s/n.) as a commenorative medal for a 30th years anniversary and used also the wrong ribbon (MMM) :P .

That's against all statutes & regulations :mad: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: A rare item - sorry my Russian is too bad to translate the inscription in a correct way :blush: .

Guest Rick Research

That is an EXTREMELY weird thing! :speechless1:

It says

"First military/war award of the GPW for liberation of the city of Ole(m.... can't read through the scratches-- ?? Olemevi ??) as gift of first daughter Vera on the day of the 30th anniversary"

If that was it's original serial number before the whole back was reworked, including the number, that would have been from around December 1945 or so, possibly later.

EXTREMELY weird. :speechless1:

That is an EXTREMELY weird thing! :speechless1:

It says

"First military/war award of the GPW for liberation of the city of Ole(m.... can't read through the scratches-- ?? Olemevi ??) as gift of first daughter Vera on the day of the 30th anniversary"

If that was it's original serial number before the whole back was reworked, including the number, that would have been from around December 1945 or so, possibly later.

EXTREMELY weird. :speechless1:

Gentlemen,

the inscription might be the Russian name of one of the major towns in Morovia OLOMOUC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olomouc - that would also somehow match to end of 1945 confering date.

Nice idea of oldest daughter Vera in 1975 - but she took the wrong ribbon ;) .

Christian

That is interesting - so now I need to be on the lookout for the other mismatched ribbon and medal. Sweet daughter, dumb engraver. As for the town - can you tell me which 'word' is the town and I could then try and decypher it as the scan is not the best.

Many , many , many thanks guys!

Guest Rick Research

Hmmm. I subjected it to high temperature radioactivity :rolleyes::speechless1: and:

1) 1st war/military (underlined red)

2) award in G(reat)P(atriotic) W(ar) (underlined yellow)

3) for lib. (of) c(ity of) Olo(m/zh?) (o/e?) v(now looks like hard sign e, so ends v'ye) (underlined white)

4) Gift/present of/from first daughter (underlined green)

5) Vera on day of (underlined brown)

6) 30 years (anniversary)

7) probably what HAD been the original serial number, but no way to tell NOW, completely re-done

I think it would be well worth researching this award number to see if everything makes sense. What I think might have happened was that the veteran lost his original medal, lamented losing it, so on the 30th anniversary of him earning the award, his daughter got him this medal. Obviously the ribbon is wrong, but chances are the serial number is correct as family members did have access into the Archives during the days of the USSR. If you can confirm that this fellow was awarded a For Valor medal for the fighting around some town (whatever we can figure it out to be) or if (even better) he was an officer and you can get his personnel file to show that he had a daughter named Vera, this could be a real winner of a medal!

Dave

Never researched before - never had a compelling reason to do so...untill now...so - here is what I can make out of the town:

ORA [Z or a U] OBU

For sure Olomouc - it's Russian name is spelled here Оломовц (Olomovts), the correct spelling would be Оломоуц. It was captured by the 4th Ukrainian Front in the last days of the war, during the Prague offensive. HTH

Igor

For sure Olomouc - it's Russian name is spelled here Оломовц (Olomovts), the correct spelling would be Оломоуц. It was captured by the 4th Ukrainian Front in the last days of the war, during the Prague offensive. HTH

Igor

Thanks, Igor!

Igor

Dear Igor,

many thanks for your 1st posting :cheers: .

Due to the extraordinary items, you offer at your website, GMIC-member "collectrussia" or "Igor" had been already rather well known here ;) .

So I guessed right: "the inscription might be the Russian name of one of the major towns in Morovia OLOMOUC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olomouc - that would also somehow match to end of 1945 confering date."

In the second volume of Marshal Moskalenko's memoirs (German edition) you will find the capture of Olomouc.

Anyone, who visits the Czech Republic shouldn't miss to spend a day at least in that beautiful town :love: .

Christian

• 1 month later...

'Your first award of the Great Patriotic War; awarded for the liberation of '******'. From your first daughter Vera, on the 30th anniversary of the award.'

Is this how it is? I like to make things as clear as possible!!!

I would love that award. Actually; i lost that medal at the exact time & place that you aquired it! As i am ill i cannot recall when that was!!! You really should return it to me!!! I only have 50 more years left to live. I really did lose it; you must beleive me. Give it back to me!! Etc.....

'Your first award of the Great Patriotic War; awarded for the liberation of '******'. From your first daughter Vera, on the 30th anniversary of the award.'

Is this how it is? I like to make things as clear as possible!!!

I would love that award. Actually; i lost that medal at the exact time & place that you aquired it! As i am ill i cannot recall when that was!!! You really should return it to me!!! I only have 50 more years left to live. I really did lose it; you must beleive me. Give it back to me!! Etc.....

Post a photo of your daughter... then I will beleive you. :rolleyes: