News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RK and DKIG 1957 cased

Have been wanting the RK for quite some time now - but never gotten around to getting one. Kenw that I wanted a magnetic core and the acorns hanigng lower. My suspicions is that this is a 1960's version as the ring dips into the frame and there are no die flaws. But I know these are being 'faked' - so I need to know if I need to get my money back, shame on me for not doing more research, but when you are going through a box at an antique store and you find these for cheap - I went with gut - now hopefuly I didnt get punched in the...

scan of the cross - cant seem to get a good shot of it with the camera. But there is still frosting on the bead and there is some separation of the laquer. Three piece with a magentic core

Technically, there is no such thing as a "fake" 57 pattern, but if you mean the currently produced rubbish that sells on EBay, then you have no worries on the Knight's Cross, it is an early one. The only thing they haven't done is burnish down the edge of the upper arm to take away the lower curve of the eye that "dips" into the frame. All these frames started off with a dipped eye, the dipped part of which was removed during hand finishing. The typical "dent" row found on the beading of the lower edge of the 3 o'clock arm on frames made from the original wartime tooling can just be made out on yours. Not the earliest of the early ones, but still a nice piece and superior to the later crap that Steinhauer produced.

The DK is also a good one, but not so early. The earliest Steinhauer pieces used leftover wartime parts and had wide flat pins, and a retaining clip mounted onto a circular disc set into a recess on the reverse face.

Is there a silver content mark on the Knight's Cross ? Real silver framed pieces attract higher prices than silvered framed crosses. Looks like a nice early case and ribbon too. If not silver marked and you got it for $600 or less, you did well. If real silver, you could easily expect to pay up to $800 or more. If it had been the really early type with the fully finished eye, even more.

Hi Gordon - thanks for the information on the dipping eye, I had not known that before. There is a 800 mark just below the eylet on the reverse. Also knowing what its worth helps ease my fears. What would the general price be for the later DKIG? Problem is that so far I have not found many for sale (actualy none today) on the web to give me a rough idea. I am looking to sell the DKIG and want to get a fair price.

Well, with an 800 silver frame, I'd put your Knight's Cross at $800 at least.

The DKs of that type are around $200.

Hi Gordon - thanks for the information on the dipping eye, I had not known that before. There is a 800 mark just below the eylet on the reverse. Also knowing what its worth helps ease my fears. What would the general price be for the later DKIG? Problem is that so far I have not found many for sale (actualy none today) on the web to give me a rough idea. I am looking to sell the DKIG and want to get a fair price.

Thanks to all once again. Sadly I have to sell the DKIG in order to keep the RK. :(

Hi Charles,

Terrific pieces and great finds! :love: You do have the luck of the Irish when it comes to finding goodies like this. And don't feel bad about having to let the DKIG go... I've seen quite a few of those over the years although never in the earlier type case... either no case or the plastic type like I have. But you'll definitely be able to get another down the road if you wanted one. But the RK's... most of what I see are the later junk on Ebay and such.

Another terrific addition to your collection! Can't wait to see it in person when you're back in the states. :jumping::jumping:

Congratulations my friend!!!! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Charles,

Terrific pieces and great finds! :love: You do have the luck of the Irish when it comes to finding goodies like this. And don't feel bad about having to let the DKIG go... I've seen quite a few of those over the years although never in the earlier type case... either no case or the plastic type like I have. But you'll definitely be able to get another down the road if you wanted one. But the RK's... most of what I see are the later junk on Ebay and such.

Another terrific addition to your collection! Can't wait to see it in person when you're back in the states. :jumping::jumping:

Congratulations my friend!!!! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hello

The plastic cases are the correct cases for these awards. I knew that the 57 DKs sometime came inthe plastic cases, but was never really to sure about them until I recently posted a 57 DKiS in case that I bought. Gordon Williamson explained that the plastic cases are the correct ones to go with the DKs.

Have a look in this thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16329