News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M1915 officer uniform Kingdom Bulgaria

Hi guys, recently got something that is almost never seen, except for period photos. A 1915 model WW1 Bulgarian army officer uniform!!! :cheers::cheers: Almost for sure it belonged to a colonel, who later became a general, will veryfy this in a few days.

I placed the orders, I guess the combination must have been something like that. As for the Turkish star medal - in my opinion, it is the only possibility for the two horizontal loops under the pocket - and it is oftenly seen there, on photos of Bulgarian officers :cheers:

This was the find of the year for me!!!!! :cheers::cheers: Well, the buttons of the boards are missing /I have many, just have to determine the type/ and so are all but one pip. But also got the breeches for this tunic, and two shoulder knots and two more pairs of boards...

And a rare and nice feature - the red Wound Stripe on the sleeve, the man has been wounded in action! WW1 or Balkan wars - still do not know.

Here it is, a reeeeeeeeal beauty!! :love:

Guest Rick Research

:jumping::jumping::jumping::love::love::love:

Are there only three loops for ribboned awards? I haven't seen that last medal in YEARS. :cheers:

Hi Rick! Yes, three loops only. See below the photo, I think this is the owner of the uniform, a future general. Interesting, he has many, but not high grades orders. Maybe got the high grades later. It is surprising to see only 3 loops on the uniform, but my guess is, that it is a combat uniform and thus would have only very few orders, probably only war-related, or the highest, or gained only in that war... I really do not know... I only know, that on period photos, officers who have for sure MANY awards, wear only very few of them on the combat uniform.

Edited by Theodor

Hi,

I don't normally have an interest in Bulgarian militaria but for some reason this post attracted me and I'm glad it did. What a wonderful tunic!!!! Far more stylish and rare than anything else of the period in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations!!!

Regards,

Greg

Hi Rick! Yes, three loops only. See below the photo, I think this is the owner of the uniform, a future general. Interesting, he has many, but not high grades orders. Maybe got the high grades later. It is surprising to see only 3 loops on the uniform, but my guess is, that it is a combat uniform and thus would have only very few orders, probably only war-related, or the highest, or gained only in that war... I really do not know... I only know, that on period photos, officers who have for sure MANY awards, wear only very few of them on the combat uniform.

His epaulettes show that he was a senior officer (major up to colonel) rather than a general (general's ones had broad cords, following the Russian pattern). That is probably why he had no top classes of orders. I wonder who he was and when the photo was taken. Certainly not during WWI, for he wouldn't have been wearing French, Romanian and Montenegran orders. An impressive tunic anyway!

Lukasz

Hallo Theo :cheers:

beautiful uniform and medals as well, congratulations on your find :jumping::jumping:

Is it possible to post a bigger picture of the ribbon bar in the photograph? there looks to be some very interesting awards there :love:

And a closer picture of the medals on your uniform front and back please.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Lukasz, at the photo he is not yet a General, I think. He is still a high rank officer, but not a general, that must be later.

I think this is general Vuichev, chief of the Guards unit of the King. An officer very close to the Court. I am still looking for a photo of Vuichev, just to make sure that "my suspect" is exactly him. For sure the things are from his family.

Kev, the photos will come tomorrow - the electric light is no good. The photo is framed, so can not go into the scanner. And the glass reflects the flash. But tomorrow will make a close picture!

Edited by Theodor

Gen. Sava Vuichev was Fligel-Adjutant /sp.???/ of King Ferdinand. as said I am yet unsure if the man on the photo is hm, or a close relative of him. But for sure some of the photos and things that appeared did belong to him. So, here is the medal bar, the best I can do about it.

I think some awards are seen easier smaller, here is smaller image. Lest to right the first are St. Alexander, Military Merit, Long Service, 1908 Independance, then one looks like the medal for the arrival of the new king ferdinand .... from that on to the right I do not have a clue, most of these seem foreign.

Hallo Theo, :cheers:

thanks for the close up, at first glance there is the Romanian Order of the Crown and next to this the Crown of Italy.

Will study it some more and see what we can come up with.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

thanks for the close up, at first glance there is the Romanian Order of the Crown and next to this the Crown of Italy.

Next to the Italian Order of the Crown there is also the Order of the Star of Romania. Odd placing... :unsure:

I think some awards are seen easier smaller, here is smaller image. Lest to right the first are St. Alexander, Military Merit, Long Service, 1908 Independance, then one looks like the medal for the arrival of the new king ferdinand .... from that on to the right I do not have a clue, most of these seem foreign.

post-494-1178800846.jpg

Let's build up the list of awards:

1. Bulgarian Order of St. Alexander

2. Bulgarian Order of Military Merit

3. Bulgarian Long Service Cross

4. Bulgarian Independence Medal

5. ...

6. French Legion of Honour

7. ...

8. Serbian Order of the White Eagle

9. Montenegrin Order of Danilo

10. Order of the Crown of Romania

11. Italian Order of the Crown

12. Order of the Star of Romania

13. Serbian Order of the Takovo Cross

14. ...

15. ...(?)

Beneath: Austrian Order of Franz Joseph

Though I think that Theodor already got this information I am nevertheless going to post it anyway.

Sava Kolev Vuichev, born 22nd July 1872

2nd August 1893 2nd Lieutenant

1st January 1897 1st Lieutenant

1st January 1903 Captain

15th October 1908 Major

15th Oct. 1912 Lieutenant-Colonel

14th August 1916 Colonel

14th July 1919 Major-General

During his career he served with the Lifeguard Squadron, as an Attach? to Belgrade, with the 6th Infantry Division, as commander of 1st Cavalry Brigade, chief of staff (or just chief - nachalnik) 2nd Cavalry Division. He retired in 1919.