News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freiherr von Fritsch letters

This is an almost unbelievable fleamarket find from today's trip to bavarian fleamarkets around Munich.

I could not believe it myself, cause the man who was selling that to me, did not know what he had there. Needless to say that I only paid a few Euros.

Here is what I got:

1.) This one speaks for itself:

fritsch1.jpg

Close-up of the original signature, ink, no print:

fritsch1a.jpg

2.) Memorial sheet about his death, 4 pages with the speech of Feldbischof Dohrmann, only the front is pictured here:

fritsch2.jpg

Edited by Robert Noss

3.) Handwritten letter to somebody who's name was "Dybwad" ?????, dated 1929

Page 1

fritsch3.jpg

Page 2

fritsch3a.jpg

Page 3

fritsch3b.jpg

Now I could need some help:

Who was Dybwad ??? From the text I presume he was a former comrade of von Fritsch.

I can not read every word, even for me it is difficult to read old german handwritings, but I here's what I think Fritsch has written:

" Lieber Dybwad !

....... ........ ich Ihre Meldung ?ber Ihr Ausscheiden aus dem Regiment. Ich hoffe, da? Sie mit mir der gleichen Ansicht sind, da? .... nur ein durch die ....... bedingte Formsache ist. ..... .... sich aber .... .... .... zum Regiment geh?rig betrachten, wie wir Sie auch k?nftig (Page 2) zu den Unseren z?hlen. Jedenfalls, wenn Sie einmal in schwieriger Lage sind, oder .... nicht .... .... .... .... ...., wie es immer einmal im Leben vorkommen kann, dann kommen Sie zu mir oder schreiben Sie mir. Ich werde stets .... sein, Ihnen zu helfen, so gut es geht. Auch sonst hoffe ich, da? Sie ab und zu (Page 3) einmal von sich h?ren lassen werden.

F?r Ihre ........... w?nsche ich Ihnen .... und ..... frohe Stunden und ..... .........

Mit freundlichen Gr??en Ihr

Frhr. vFritsch "

4.) Another letter to Dybwad, dated 1934

Page 1

fritsch4.jpg

Page 2

fritsch4a.jpg

" Lieber Dybwad !

Von Oberstleutnant (abbreviated) Volkmann werden Sie bereits die Antwort auf Ihren Brief erhalten haben. Sie werden wissen, da? Sie, wie mir der Chef des Personalamts es gestern noch einmal vortrug, auf Grund Ihrer Teilnahme an den .......... (Page 2) ........ in Leipzig Ihrem Offiziersberuf treu bleiben k?nnen.

........ ....... ...... Ihrem alten Regiments Kommandeur (abbreviated).

Mit freundlichen Gr??en Ihr

Frhr. vFritsch "

5.) Last one is another letter, not from Fritsch, but to Frau Dybwad.

fritsch5.jpg

I almost can read nothing here, but the place and date in the corner - is that "Kriegsminst. " ?????

I would be very happy if somebody could help me with the missing words.

Who was Dybwad ???

Before some of You ask me - Yes, I will be selling these papers again, cause I only collect photographs. As I do not really have a clue what to ask for these, I will put them on Ebay and see what they sell for. If somebody is interested and has a good offer, email me - but do not see this as a hidden sales offer - it is not.

Kind regards

Robert

Edited by Robert Noss

Guest Rick Research

Well Robert, I do read Sutterlin and I am having trouble with Fritsch's BIZARRE handwriting!!!!

Oddly enough, there WAS an officer named DYBWAD (!!???) commissioned as Leutnant 1 December 1926 #78 in Artillerie Regiment 2. He was serving in 1928, but had obviously resigned or been forced to resign in 1929. He was NOT back in the army (no Luftwaffe Rank Lists, so can't say if he ended up over there in the Flak) as of January 1939.

It would appear he had some sort of Career Ending Event, then tried to get back in by appealing to his old commander...

and seems to have been politely rebuffed with "best wishes."

I THINK it says he remained loyal to his officer duty in "Kommunisten K?mpfen" in Leipzig.

The last letter is from a B. Delbr?ck at the Reichsgericht and something EQUALLY scribbly about a "tragedy" 22.10.39-- presumably referring to Fritsch's death:

Liebe Frau Dybwad

So wertvoll sind die

Worte, sie bleiben eine

................... Kraft--

trotz der Tragik dieser

............... haben Sie

herzlichsten dank f?r

die ............sendung, ich

schicke sie gleich zur?ck

sind. K?mpfen auch

wir den guten Kampf!

im treuen ................

auf Wiedersehen

Ihren B. Delbr?ck

Reichsgericht

2X.10.39

The Delbr?cks were a "dynasty" of lawyers/politicians-- very prominent family in government service... but I cannot find a "B."

Thank You, Rick.

Good that You could confirm the name Dybwad. I was not sure if I read that right.

It is a strange name for a german.

About the text in the letters, I think the same.

Dybwad tried to get back in service and contacted his old regiment commander.

Kind regards

Robert

Guest Rick Research

Maybe it is a WELSH name... I've never seen "Dybwad" anywhere else.

Makes you wonder what his FIRST name was, doesn't it? :rolleyes::speechless1::cheeky:

Guest Rick Research

Sonofagun!!!!

I've just been over to the Mormons and "Dybwad" is

(drumrolls please)

NORWEGIAN. :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

But what does it MEAN?

My Swedish side all have "leafy" names-- trees, little parts of the forest, streams... those sort of rural place names. "Dy" in Swedish is MUD. Who has a family name "Muddy-something"? :speechless1:

Well, Dybwad went flying in 1929:

---------

Lieber Dybwad !

Soeben erhalte ich Ihre Meldung ?ber Ihr Ausscheiden aus dem Regiment. Ich hoffe, da? Sie mit mir der gleichen Ansicht sind, da? dies nur eine durch die Verh?ltnisse bedingte Formsache ist. Da? Sie sich aber .... .... .... zum Regiment geh?rig betrachten, wie wir Sie auch k?nftig zu den Unseren z?hlen. Jedenfalls, wenn Sie einmal in schwieriger Lage sind, oder sonst nicht recht aus u. ein wissen, wie es immer einmal im Leben vorkommen kann, dann kommen Sie zu mir oder schreiben Sie mir. Ich werde stets bestrebt sein, Ihnen zu helfen, so gut es geht. Auch sonst hoffe ich, da? Sie ab und zu einmal von sich h?ren lassen werden.

F?r Ihre Fliegerzeit w?nsche ich Ihnen Hals u. Beinbruch, frohe Stunden und auch

Interessantes.

Mit herzlichem Gru? Ihr

Frhr. v. Fritsch

---------

Maybe he was forced to leave the Reichswehr due to the conditions of Versailles ("die Verh?ltnisse"), because no officer was allowed to fly?

Chris

Thank You Chris, that makes sense, cause the letters and the card was in this programm of the 1932 international flight competition:

aero1.jpg

I looked through the programm but the name Dybwad is not in there.

Thanks again, Hals und Beinbruch - I could not read that, what a strange handwriting.

Kind regards

Robert

Guest Rick Research

Ahhhh.... left but not for THAT reason:

1928 to 1932 was the peak of illegal "Black Reichswehr" flight training with the Red Army at Lipetzk. Most of those guys came back, magically reappeared in the Rank Lists (western intelligence apparently didn't have subscriptions :banger: ) and

:unsure: nooooooooooobody was supposed to have noticed. :rolleyes:

Maybe Herr Deepstream washed out of flying training-- the later letter about the Personnel Department having the unspecified information suggests he was trying to get back into the ARMY, not the AIR FORCE.

Deepstream :beer: well, I guess that is why you have Nissen and we have Tomten. So many words are the same, it is odd to see how DIFFERENT ordinary ones can be in the three "Viking" languages.