News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great stuff!

Here is a little something that will make some hearts flutter, it is on display at the Australian War Memorial

in Canberra (Australian Capitol Territory), and is the only Bf 109 left in the world that still has it's original

camouflage and markings left, and is in excellent condition,

Some photos....

Edited by Bob Lyons

And, straying away from 109's for a little bit, this is a tail section from Heinz Wolfgang Schnaufer's Bf 110

showing his victory markings from his last aircraft...

Edited by Bob Lyons

and to finish off for now, the Memorial's Me 163 on display as well.

A sad story about this one, it still had all original paint and markings until well into the 70's, and was on

loan to an aircraft museum here in Melbourne, and the lunatics there decided to repaint it in what they

thought were smarter markings, the Memorial has since had it repainted as close to the original paintwork as

possible and put it on display. It was boxed up from WW2 until the early 70's, so a great time capsule.

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for showing the pictures. The Bf 109 is fantastic. :cheers: Hats off for the people who decided to keep it in this condition. The "Schnaufer" fin, is a real gem. The weapon in the picture, looks like it comes from an upward firing "Schr?ge musik" installation. It's a shame that the Me 163 was repainted, but still, it's a great example, of one of the oddest looking combat aircraft.

Snoopy

Hello

Staying with the Messerchmidt theme, I decided to post this sheet, from a pad. It was used for navigation. I have a few of these sheets, in my collection. They where found in the mangled cockpit section of a Bf 110 C-0, that where dug up from a field in Norway, only a few years ago. This aircraft was probably shot down by a norwegian Gloster Gladiator, on the 9th of april 1940. It belonged to 1. staffel/Zg 76, and was flown by leutnant Ehrard Kort and Heinrich Bockheimer. The sheets, still smelled of aviation fuel when I got them. Maybee, the fuel preserved the paper. I allso have a piece of parachute silk, from the aircraft.

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

Hi Snoopy,

I found an old photo on file of my tail wheel before I moved it on, along with some bits and

pieces I put around it to make the photo a bit more interesting, so here is the tail wheel, I sold

this piece through the Collector's Guild in Canada, and last time I looked the photo of it was still

on the site, saying it had been sold, been like that for about 2 years now!

Bob

And I have this shot on file too, it is the Me 262 that is also on display in the War Memorial in Canberra, with

the Lancaster 'G - George' in the background. The Lanc has had a complete overhaul now and looks fantastic,

and the 262 has had the postwar paintjob stripped back to show her wartime paintwork. This old black and white

shot is from quite a few years ago.

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for showing the pictures. That's a great looking tail wheel, complete like this, it must be very rare. I actually believe that I have seen it on Collector's guild. You have a lot of great stuff in that photo. What's the tiny, droptank shaped thingy, in the middle of the photo?

They really do have a great collection of aircraft in Canberra. :beer: Several Messerschmidt's and a Lanc, wow!

Snoopy

Hello again

If anybody has anything, related to the "Augsburg eagles", or other Messerschmidt's, please share them with us. In my collection I have this original manual, for the "Fug 16 ZY". I hope you like it. This radio was used in the Bf 109.

Snoopy

• 2 years later...

Hi Snoopy,

I found an old photo on file of my tail wheel before I moved it on, along with some bits and

pieces I put around it to make the photo a bit more interesting, so here is the tail wheel, I sold

this piece through the Collector's Guild in Canada, and last time I looked the photo of it was still

on the site, saying it had been sold, been like that for about 2 years now!

Bob

Hello!

Amazing LW Collection. :jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers::cheers:

All the best

Nesredep.

• 5 months later...