News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well......

First, I would like to say that I have found Herr Weitze to be an honest and reliable dealer and my experiences with him have always been pleasant. Also, I find that he has some wonderful and rare items on a regular basis and nothing that I can instantly dismiss as a forgery (like some other dealers!).

The Lancelle items must be looked at separately before they are looked at as a group.

The EKI is in poor condition. The pin is not standard on known Wagner pieces (but perhaps it was replaced at some point). But,... if the pin was not replaced, then the piece may be a forgery. Only by picking it up and looking at it would one be able to tell. Then again, it could be a worn and battered original with a replaced pin.

The mounted group looks fantastic! The only problem that I have with it is that it appears as though the Crown Order's lower right sword hilt has been replaced. Since this is the key piece, it is somewhat of a detractor (but try to find another one that is perfect!). The backing is gone if there ever was one and the pin may have been replaced (but these are not big problems). The combination with the lifesaving medal makes it really nice. The ribbons are old and look like they have not been fooled with.

I love the group, but would pass on the EKI if I were to spend my own money on it!

Oh well, everyone has an opinion (but it doesn't necessarily make us experts!).

Best regards,

"SPM"

I agree with all SPM's comments except his suspicion that the EK1 could possibly be a forgery.

The EK1 is a text book 'I Wagner' (obverse core and maker mark) with an 'alternative' - probably replaced - pin.

Below are three textbook issue Wagners with different pin assemblys - one very similar to the Lancelle set-up.

The centre one exhibits the pin we most expect to see on these rare Wagners. Consider also that the last I Wagner marked EK1 I saw sold (by Huesken) went for nearly 5000 euro on its own.

The only thing that stopped me from buying the Lancelle group months ago was the condition of the EK, which as SPM also pointed out, is poor.

Good luck in your decision.

Marshall