News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Three Tommies in the Agony of the Somme

lazyschnauzer

At long last...feels like I've been working on this forever!! :speechless:

Scale: 1/16th

Materials: Resin parts from Jaguar, Model Cellar & D. J. Parkin, metal SMLE rifle from D. J. Parkin, magicsculpt, 2 part clear resin for mud, paper map tape for putties & Vallejo 599 coarse pumice paste for earth

Based on an illustration by an unknown artist published in several books including, ?Eye Deep in Hell? by John Ellis, 1946.

1st / 6th Durham Light Infantry Rgt., 151st Brigade, 50th (Northumbrian) Division ? no division markings

Wounded Tommy ?

? Goatskin jerkin worn as vests over M1902 khaki field service tunic

? M1902 khaki field service trousers

? M1914 leather field harness and ammo pouch

Second and Third Tommies

? Goatskin jerkins and M1902 uniforms

? Three Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) MK III 0.303 caliber rifles ? two wrapped in water-proofing, one being used as a lever to lift the wounded man

? Small canvas haversack for carrying anti-gas PH helmets

? M1914 leather field harness and ammo pouches

? Canvas musette bag and haversacks

? M1902 khaki putties and brown half boots

? On left hip, M1908 khaki haversacks and entrenching tool helves

? On right hip, M1908 entrenching tool heads in khaki carriers and water bottles covered with khaki cloth and hooked to belt

? one standing Tommy is a two-stripe corporal; the other has a bombers badge on one sleeve

I'm going to post the illustration first and then the photos of the figures. It may take two or three posts - bear with me.

Hope you like it!

All the best,

Dan

Dan,

All of your figures and your modelling skills are highly impressive. In this age of instant gratification, they reflect a rarely seen level of committment to the hobby.

How long does it take to plan and build figures like the ones you have shown on this and other threads?

David

Hardy and David - Many thanks for your kind comments! David - The germ cells for this vignette were planted by my most generous patron, Mr. Martin Fine of NYC, about the end of February. I built the armatures and put the heads and boots on them sometime in March. Since I still have to earn a crust, I worked on the figures mostly weekends and holidays, with a few week nights thrown in. Since web stumbling into the hobby of military miniature figures about 5 years ago, I've had nothing but fun with it! And the real fun started not quite 3 years ago when I tried sculpting. Although I can paint, I choose not to - never really was satisfied with my abilities. These figures will be painted by Roger Newsome, a most talented painter and seafarer from Bedale, N. Yorkshire in UK. We've worked together on numerous figures now and I really enjoy what my good friend does with our little models. I'm looking forward to seeing Roger's talents displayed again!

All the best,

Dan

Hi Dan

Wow, that's impressive. It really doesn't need any paint to look great. The vignette is really packed with detail. I could study it for hours, and I'm not kidding. Do you have any other projects planned?

Regards

Snoopy

Snoopy,

Your comments really warm my heart, friend. Very seriously. I strive for realism and historical accuracy and research all my projects carefully. For some of my past projects, I'm grateful for the kind and very generous help of the Royal Navy and Marines museum curators, folks on the Great War Forum and Military Horse Forum, and other sources too numerous to mention. In detailing all the uniforms, weapons and equipment being worn by the figures, I'm following the lead of two very experienced and marvelous professional sculptors, Jon Smith and Steve Warrilow, each of whom do something similar with figure kits they sell.

My next project is a single figure Canadian 2nd Mounted Rifles, 3rd Division soldier who is just digging - the "shoveller". The PBI spent a lot of time digging. I've never seen a figure that just showed a WWI soldier doing that. He was originally a fourth figure on this vignette, but I removed him at the request of my patron. Originally the Tommies project was going to be quite a bit larger, but I prefer the smaller, more-focused version. The "shoveller" is coming along nicely and I'll show him to you when completed probably in a couple of weeks.

After that, I have two mounted Great War cavalry figures in various stages of completion - a 1914 British Scots Grey trooper, "Potshot" and a 1916 US 13th Cavalry Sergeant, "Chasing Villa". All in 120mm.

All the best,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...

Dan

The mudd detail would be awesome can't wait to see the finish product: I use baby powder and elmers glue with a mixture of a little water to make mudd for my 1/35 scale Tamiya Armor.

Thank you for sharing:

SSG Luna, Lorenzo