News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Army Order of Battle

Hello,

got today the book from:

Robert G. Poirer and Albert Z. Conner

The Red Army Order of Battle in the Great Patriotric War 1985

Including data from 1919 to post war years.

This book lists all the soviet military units of World War II. (short before and after). It includes the Armies, Corps, Divisions, Brigades and Regiments. Sadly, there are no bataillons listed.

Sometimes key commanders are listed and the places where the unit was during war time.

best regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Guest Rick Research

Yup, I got that when it came out and it's the only one I have. No units below divisions, but fairly good for different divisions with the same numbers, showing when one was destroyed and a new one created.

• 2 months later...

Looks like a book worth having. Can't find it on the web though, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. With the few groups I had researched, this book would come in very handy.

Danny,

take a look on Charles Sharps series "Soviet Order of Battle". They are available at collectrussia, for example. I have two volumes about Rifle Units (Volume 9+10), if you need info, let me know...

best,

Gerd

This book can normally be found on places like abebooks.com (they have seven right now, ranging from $45 to $125 in price) and sometimes with the vintage book sellers on Amazon (where I got mine.)

I use this one in conjunction with the Charles Sharpe series, which is 12 volumes. Between the two of those, I can then normally track a unit's history and positions using the maps from the six-volume set of "History of the Great Patriotic War in the Soviet Union 1941-1945" and figure out everywhere a person in question fought.

I then also purchased numerous German histories of the Eastern Front, and they are normally very good regarding the intensity of battle, what units were fighting and so on.

Using all of them you can get a pretty comprehensive view of what the veteran went through during their war!

Dave

Check on bookfinder and you will see it. If it is the right collection, it is in Russian and worth quite a bit of money.

Yep, the six volume set is the one. I think I paid somewhere around $300 for my set from a guy that was selling a set on eBay that never sold. There's a really rare 12 volume set out there... The same guy had that set but it was close to $800! I couldn't afford that.

Dave