News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lately I have been bumbling and stumbling around in minatures. I have acquired a minature Austrian iron crown (even has the iron insert!!) and an FJ knight (with a mobile crown) both in real gold. Under magnification I cannot believe the extent of detail. Both were rather pricy but I am satisfied with them. They make a perfect addition to their "big brothers".

I have learned that the "chains" have been subject to much manipulation .. i. e. trading medals back and forth.

I don't think much has been said about minature medal bars.

How rare are the miniature medal bars and can it be said that are also NOT to be taken at face value either? I see very few listed for sale.

Rod

Edited by Rod

Actual mini "medal bars" are relatively uncommon. Button hole minis and Frack

chains are much more common. The "rarity" of the piece is like that of the fullsized

versions. A mini PLM or Blackeagle is going to be a lot harder to find then the

Ek or Hindenburg cross.

BE WARNED------Those little beauties ARE addicting.

Hi Rod,

As GregM points out, the mini medal bars are relatively rare. I think that there are a couple of reasons for this. The first would be the fact that the mini bar (as opposed to chain) style came along rather late - my guess would be 1900 - 1910. New styles/fads often take a while to catch on. Going from barrettes to chains was a slow transition. Anyway, five to ten years later, we have The War and subsequent hard times. Minis are nice but they are not regulation, not required, a nice little luxury ... at just the wrong time.

Manipulation? Why not? Full size bars, ribbon bars and mini chains are all subject to to being newly created or manipulated; so why not mini bars. It happens.

I do, however, have to take issue with regard to rarity vis-?-vis the full sized pieces. Remember that minis are unofficial decorations and as such were produced upon a request by the holder of the full sized decoration. That is to say that for every, for example, Red Eagle third class or Lippe civil merit medal awarded there is not a corresponding miniature out there somewhere. Again, these were something of a luxury, so those who could afford them, got them; which, in part explains the large number of Red Eagles, Prussian Crowns and even PLM minis one sees. Although, as has been pointed out on other threads, the vast majority of PLM minis are modern copies.

Mentioning the Red Eagle and Prussian Crown reminded me of a last point - of course there is no way of telling if a mini to these orders is a 1st, 2nd or 3rd class - they are all the same. This situation arises in similar ways with regard to numerous other orders as well.

Sorry if I rambled on here and hope that I answered your question.

Best wishes,

Wild Card :cheers: