News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Sign of the Sword / Sv?rdstecknet

Here is a nice example of the Sign of the Sword or Sword Sign, not sure how to translate "Sv?rdstecknet" correctly. I found it at an auction last week and it came with a nice original box too.

Perhaps I should tell the history of it for those not familiar with Swedish orders/medals. The officers of the Swedish army had the Order of the Sword to look forward too when they had put in enough years. But soldiers and NCOs had nothing award vise. To help the situation the Sign of the Sword and the Sword Medal (for privates and lower ranks) was established 23 February 1850. The main influence is believed to have been Denmark?s Dannebrogstecknet. To get the Sign of the Sword you had to put in 16 years of faithful service, of which at least six had to be as an NCO. When the soldier died the family had to return the award. It was not like the orders were the recipient?s relatives could pay to keep it. Returning the sign was praxis until 1897 when the rules changed and it could be ?bought? by the family to keep. The Sign of the Sword was awarded until 1974 when all Swedish orders became unavailable for Swedes. All different types of the Order of the Sword stopped being awarded then.

This auction find is probably from 1900-1920ties. There is no study done, that I know of, so it?s just a guess. As it?s ?court mounted? I can?t show the reverse of this one, so a stand-in had to provide that pic. :)

Guest Rick Research

:love:

I would just translate that for what it would be in German Orders-- the Merit Cross (Verdienstkreuz) class.

Why NO awards since the 1970s? that is just great for the :sleep: career people, but must :angry: anyone who actually DOES something! :speechless:

Rick, probably an attempt from the Swedish Social Democrates to erase the boundries between classes and create a world of equality for all :speechless: One distinction about awards though, orders are obsolete for Swedes but medals are still awarded i.g. Medal for Faithful Service in the State.

KR

Peter

Nice order :)

The main influence is believed to have been Denmark?s Dannebrogstecknet. To get the Sign of the Sword you had to put in 16 years of faithful service, of which at least six had to be as an NCO.

That may have been the influence, but the fact is that the Dannebrog Silver Merit Cross ("Dannebrogsm?ndenes H?derstegn" in Danish or "Dannebrogstecknet" in Swedish) was never used - and was never intended to be used - as a long service award for NCOs and lower ranks.

When the Swedish orders were abolished in 1974, I believe some are still awarded to foreigners? Which ones are they?

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

So the right English name would be Order of the Sword Merit Cross or even Order of the Sword Silver Merit Cross? Funny how things gets lost or added in an other language.

Peter?s explanation is probably part of the answer. But the order system had been under attack from various groups before it was changed. How the debate about it went I don?t know. But the coalition parties of the right have been in power a couple of times since and haven?t re-established the award system yet. So it?s not only a question about one party?s politics.

And yes Swedes still can get medals. But as a collector of awards.... Where is the enamel??? :speechless::banger:

That may have been the influence, but the fact is that the Dannebrog Silver Merit Cross ("Dannebrogsm?ndenes H?derstegn" in Danish or "Dannebrogstecknet" in Swedish) was never used - and was never intended to be used - as a long service award for NCOs and lower ranks.

Mike: Perhaps my sources meant the idea of a silver award in an existing order. Thanks for the name correction. When all my sources are in Swedish I have problems with the right name. Mange tak!

The orders you lucky foreigners can get are Order of the Polar Star and if you?re part of any Royal family or a head of state Order of the Seraphim. The Polar Star is a looker too.

/Kim

What an extremely nice example of the Merit Decoration of the Order of the Sword. Much harder to come by than the Knight's badge.

Paul

Kim, of course it should be the Polar Star and not Vasa, as incorrectly suggested by me :sleep:

KR

Peter

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum :beer: . I have to give a different wiew though, the Merit Decoration isn't that hard to find. What you probably refer to is the Knight 2nd class i.g. silver with white enamel. This was awarded to foreigners, hence it's rarity. Swedes were awarded the Knight 1st class, gold with white enamel.

KR

Peter

Peter you are absolutely right I was getting the two confused. Thank you for putting me on the right track.

Paul

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum :beer: . I have to give a different wiew though, the Merit Decoration isn't that hard to find. What you probably refer to is the Knight 2nd class i.g. silver with white enamel. This was awarded to foreigners, hence it's rarity. Swedes were awarded the Knight 1st class, gold with white enamel.

KR

Peter