News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Attached below is an excerpt from the Bavarian 1914 Milit?r-Handbuch. The officer who is circled is char. Major Karl von Lumm, and he certainly has a lot of decorations. Since officers like him don't appear in the Ehrenrangliste, who can tell me any more about this officer, why he was significant, and what he might have done during the war?

Well, I guess no one was interested.

I honestly know nothing about what this officer did during the war. I just know he did something. His civilian job is all I knew. He was a member of the Board of Directors of the Reichsbank with the rank of Geheimer Ober-Finanzrat.

Below is his entry from the 1918 Handbuch f?r das Deutsche Reich. To the prewar awards above he added the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class, the Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class with Crown and Swords, the Mecklenburg-Strelitz Cross for Distinction in War and the Cross 1st Class for Distinction in War, the Ducal Saxe-Ernestine House Order Commander's Cross with Star and Swords, and the Saxe-Meiningen Honor Cross for Merit in War.

The other members of the Board have a mix of non-combat awards: the Iron Cross 2nd Class on the non-combatant ribbon, the Prussian Merit Cross for War Aid, the Baden War Merit Cross, and the Hesse General Honor Decoration "For War Merit".

Thanks,

Now my other question, for which this thread was really sort of a test. Have people gone through the 1918 Prussian and German State Handbooks and checked the awards there against various reserve officers and others? There are an awful lot of awards throughout those handbooks, from members of the Herrenhaus to postal inspectors.

For instance, if you look in Roth's Verdienstorden & Albrechtsorden 1914-1918, you see that one Julius Dau, a Postrat with the Armee-Post-Direktion 3. Armee, received the SA3aX on 19.4.15. Looking at the 1918 Handbook for the German Empire, we see under the Ober-Postdirektion zu Dresden, that Postrat Dau had the RAO4, the Iron Cross 2nd Class, the Prussian Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 1. Kl., and the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz. He is listed as having the SA3XmKr, though, which is not in the rolls.

The Postrat right after Dau is named Wagner. He received, besides the RAO4, the EK2, the SA3aX and the Saxe-Meiningen Cross for Merit in War. Dau received the SA3aX on 19.4.15 as Postrat in the Etappen-Telegrafinspektion of Etappen-Inspektion 3.

The Postrat after is named Wiche and is identified as having the EK2, the SA3aX and the Saxe-Meiningen Cross for Merit in War. The SA3aX was received on 21.10.14 as Oberpostinspektor beim AOK 3. Armee.

Under the Dresden Fernsprechamt is a Vizetelegraphendirektor Dehn with the EK1, EK2 and BZ3bX. The only Dehn in the Baden rolls is a Lt. d.L. in LIR 109.

The Postmeister of Dippoldiswalde, named Joseph, is shown in the 1918 Handbook with the EK2, the SA3aX, the SA3bX, and the Saxon LD2. The only matching name in the SA3aX and SA3bX rolls is Hptm.d.R.a.D. Hermann Joseph, with Landsturm-Infanterie Bataillon XII/5 Pirna.

A Postrat Holst in Hamburg is shown with the EK2, LD2, Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class with Swords, W?rttemberg Wilhelms-Kreuz, Hesse General Honor Decoration for Bravery, and Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz.

Under the Reichsversicherungsanstalt f?r Angestellte, among the members of the Direktorium is a man named Roth. He is listed as the Sozialsekret?r bei den Rheinischen Stahlwerken zu Duisburg-Meiderich. He is listed as having the EK1 and EK2, and the Knight's Cross of the W?rttemberg Military Merit Order.

Under Kommissarische Hilfsarbeiter is a Dr. Snay, a Kgl. Preuss. Gerichtsassessor. He is shown with the EK1 and EK2, the HHO3X (gazetted on 15.12.17), and the BZ3bX (13.8.17, Oberlt.d.R., J?gR 3). The 1914 ranklist has a Lt.d.R. Snay with the reserve officers of IR 51.

Have people already cross-referenced these handbooks against other sources to list out all these awards? If not, I can continue to copy relevant pages. If the work has already been done, I guess I don't need to duplicate it though.

If nothing else, the two books probably have about half the EK2s on the Nichtk?mpferband that were awarded.

Another example. Maybe people already have full bios on this guy, but if not...

In the 1914 Rangliste, we have Karl Friedrich Paulin Coupette (10.11.1855-16.6.1929) as a Generalmajor and head of the Inspektion der technischen Institute der Artillerie. His awards are the RAO4mSchleife, KO3, and DA25. All the Ehrenrangliste says about him is Generalleutnant a.D.

If you happened to look, you would find in Roth that Coupette received the BMV2X on 28 April 1916. The Stellenbesetzung der deutschen Heere 1815-1939 notes that Coupette became Feldzeugmeister on 24 September 1916.

The 1918 Handbuch f?r das Deutsche Reich adds a bit more. Coupette was apparently named a deputy in the Bundesrat. His entry there notes the following: the upgrade of his Red Eagle to an RAO2XmE, and the award of the EK1, EK2, Prussian Merit Cross for War Aid, the aforementioned BMV2X, the Saxon War Merit Cross, the W?rttemberg Crown Order Commander's Cross with Swords, the Hesse General Honor Decoration "For War Merit" on the War Ribbon, the Oldenburg Friedrich-August Cross 1st and 2nd Class, and the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz.

A quick list also shows a few other Bundesrat deputies with the plM, the MKFVO, the MSHO and the WMVO, among others.

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

Dr von Lumm probably received his MStMV1 and MStMV2 at the same time, since both fall into a gap in both rolls where award dates are not given-- Nr. 176 on the 1st Class and Nr. 4184 on the main "C" Roll for 2nd Classes. These fall between September and December 1917...

contrast this MONTHS and yet up to date reported for civil servants in 1918 :jumping: with the Imperial Navy's lagging often more than TWO YEARS behind in recording awards! :banger: