News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brass Core EK1

Here's another recent pickup. This appears to be a brass core EK1. You can see the brass starting to show through on the crown. It looks like the core may be treated with some other silver coating. No rust here but like alot of these, the paint never lasted. It doesn't look so good but I like to collect these variants.

I agree. Dont get me wrong, finding the Mint ones are a thrill all in there own. However, the Salty Crosses tell the better story in my book. They convey more character and send your imagination in gear to invision them potentionally as being worn in the thick of battle look.

Edited by buellmeister

• 1 month later...

Here's another recent pickup. This appears to be a brass core EK1. You can see the brass starting to show through on the crown. It looks like the core may be treated with some other silver coating. No rust here but like alot of these, the paint never lasted. It doesn't look so good but I like to collect these variants.

Hi,Steve! There are a lot of wounds, but I like it! ! :D A product of the grand history.By the way.The item which you choose is the thing which I like entirely. :jumping: I will look forward to see your nice items!! :beer:

Hello Steve,

Interesting EKI, almost looks like a TR era '14 by S&L.

Have you put a magnet to the core? I'm curious as I don't see the brass you mention.

I too love variant EKs. Makes collecting them never ending.

All the best,

Tony

Edited by Tony J

Guest Darrell

Have you put a magnet to the core? I'm curious as I don't see the brass you mention.

I tend to agree. Zinc perhaps?

Darrel,

Looks too shiney for zinc. It could be silvered steel or just plain steel core with the paint flaked off. Looks a bit too smooth for a cast iron core IMO. I have a similar silvered steel core example as well as a copper plated steel core that was painted. Why? Possibly a means of corrosion control?

As I said, love them variants.

Tony

Guest Darrell

Darrel,

Looks too shiney for zinc. It could be silvered steel or just plain steel core with the paint flaked off. Looks a bit too smooth for a cast iron core IMO. I have a similar silvered steel core example as well as a copper plated steel core that was painted. Why? Possibly a means of corrosion control?

As I said, love them variants.

Tony

I would think a steel lightly coated core may still exhibit magnetic tendencies. Have you tried a magnet. Would be interesting. A nice variant. WW1 types just continue to amaze :cheers: