News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DD-214 translation

Hello Everyone,

I am attempting to help a good friend put together a medal/award display case for his retired father who is now 87. This particular vet flew a P-38 in WW2 in the Pacific Theatre. He retired 20+ years alter as a Lt. Col and flight instructor.

Here is a portion of his DD-214. I can make out soem of the awards but not all of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mott5ranch

1 - PUC = Presidential Unit Citation;

authorized by GO (General Order) in the MTO (Mediterranean Theater of Operation, Jan. 1945

2. AM = Air Medal, with 8 OLC (Oak Leaf Clusters) authorized by GO 27 in the MTO May 1944

[Air Medals were generally issued for every 5 combat missions, so 8 + the medal + 45 missions]

3. DFC = Distinguished Flying Cross authorized SO (Squadron Order) MTO Aug. 1944

4. EAME = European-African- Mideast Theatre of Operation

[The vet didn't serve in the Pacific but in the Mediterranean area according to his medals. Also,

he should show a number representing the number of campaigns he served in while in the MTO.]

5. WWII Victory medal

6. AFRM = Armed Forces Reserve Medal for 10 years Reserve service

7. NDSM = National Defense Service Medal

8. Army of Occupation WWII

9. American Campaign authorized by Air Force Regulation 35-50

10. AFLSAR = Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with 3 bronze OLC. the ribbon was for four years service,

and each OLC indicates 4 more years, thus 16 years in the Air Force.

11. AFLSA = I believe this is avariation in naming for the Air Force Good Conduct Medal, 4 bronze Oak Leaf Clusters

and the medal meaning 15 years service in the Air Force.

12. AFRESM = Armed Forces Reserve Medal, authorized by AFR (Air Force Regulation 900-10 , with HGD (not HCD) for Hour Glass Devise indication another 10 years of qualifying time.

13. GCM = Good Conduct Medal autorized by Paragraph 250 PB 24 ?? 6346 PT Wing (don't recall what unit PT referrs to) 1962.

[The Good Conduct Medal seems out of place to an officer.]

14. AFCM = Air Force Commendation Medal authorized by headquartes ATC (Air Training Command) in 1965.

[This may have been a retirement award since his active duty seems to have ended about that time. Again, an unusual retirement award for an officer...even in the 60's. Are you sure he was an officer??)

FireMedals

Edited by FireMedals

3646 PTW = 3646th Pilot Training Wing

The Good Conduct is certainly odd, since he's carrying an officer's specialty code. However, the wing may have cut orders for the Good Conduct based on long-past service where he qualified, but never got the medal.

Thanks FireMedals!

Yes he was an officer. He went in as a 2NDLT in Jan 43 as shown on the DD-214 and retired as LT COL O-5 again that's what is written on his DD-214.

His son thought he was in the Pacific! I just told him he was in Eurpoe and he was floored. All these years he just assumed he was in the Pacific.

He was also in the 3646th Pilot Training Squadron (ATC)

There is a speciality number and title with PAFSC: 1355C Flt Tng Instr . . . . . I gues the PAFSC made my friend think he was in the Pacific. I don't know, but thanks for the input.

Is this the 1st time that you've seen an officer get GCM as stated above?

The Air Force Longevity Service Award is a ribbon-only award (4 years of service, with oak leaf clusters for additional awards).

Thanks Jeff!

I'm still confused as the the difference between No. 10 and 11... As you state above 11 is a ribbon only. So what is 10? I can't find it my limited resources unless 10 and 11 are the same with more clusters. Can you educate me?

thanks again!

Mott

10 and 11 are the same basic award, only 11 shows an additional oak leaf. The personnel clerk got carried away, as normally service awards would only note the highest number of stars, oak leaf clusters, etc, on the DD-214 (An exception is made for unit awards with "V" device, which are listed separately from those without).

Here we go...

Sorry about the above... my edit with all of the award names did not seem to take effect. Sorry about that.

Thanks Firemedals and Mott, for filling in the blanks. :cheers:

Why is it unusual for an Officer to get an Air Force Commendation Medal?

Mott5ranch

No offense meant about your friends father not being an officer. The Officer Specialty Code confirms that. I was just thinking out loud because of the inclusion of the Good Conduct Medals. I thought he might have had enlisted service as an Aircrew, maybe Flight Engineer, then got a commission, or perhaps did his regular service and got a commission in the Reserves. Obviously not the case. But, as has been noted, even 214's are filled out by people who can add or omit for who knows why. Check if your friend's father still has a rack of ribbons he may have worn, and see what he had showing then.

Still, the GCM's are a weird addition.

PaulR -

The AF Commendation Medal is certainly not an unusual award to officers. But it seems it was awarded toward the end of this guy's career. Ordinarily you might expect him to get some type of retirement gong, usually a Legion of Merit, but even a MSM would be nice. Perhaps the AFCM was simply a commendation for his normal work, and he didn't get a special retirement award. Things were a little different in the 1960's, so that may not have been out of line. Perhaps there are some Air Force vets from that time period on board who might add to the discussion.

Regardless, this case is a prefect example for those collectors who love to tell you "...That's impossible!!!... it could never happen...it's against regulation!!! " DD214's can be wrong, vet's can have perfect service records that defy logic, and perhaps here is an officer who was authorized a Good Conduct Medal.

Look forward to reading more. Thanks for asking the questions Mott5ranch.

Firemedals

Mott5ranch

No offense meant about your friends father not being an officer. The Officer Specialty Code confirms that. I was just thinking out loud because of the inclusion of the Good Conduct Medals. .........

Regardless, this case is a prefect example for those collectors who love to tell you "...That's impossible!!!... it could never happen...it's against regulation!!! " DD214's can be wrong, vet's can have perfect service records that defy logic, and perhaps here is an officer who was authorized a Good Conduct Medal.

Look forward to reading more. Thanks for asking the questions Mott5ranch.

Firemedals

No offense taken Firemedals. Thanks for the input!

I went to a US medal site and copied this:

AIR FORCE GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL

FULL SIZE, STANDARD FINISH of the US AIR FORCE GOOD CONDUCTMEDAL Instituted: 1963 Criteria: Exemplary conduct, efficiency, and fidelity during 3 years of active enlisted service with the US Air Force.

The vet we are talking about was awarded his GCM in 1962......My question is, "Was there a different medal in 62?" Were regs different and they allowed officers to get this? What did the GCM look like in 62 and before?

When this officer retired, the Air Force Commendation Medal was the most likely award, if he was to get anything.

In the mid-1960s, before Vietnam heated up, the Air Force was still in the "plain blue suit" mind set, i.e., few ribbons, badges and wings. The MSM didn't come along until 1969, so there really was nothing but the AFCM to award. Since this officer was not in a comand or senior staff position, it is very unlikely that an LoM would have been considered.

I've had an AFCM awarded to a colonel upon retirement where the period of service covered was 23 years. It was his only decoration after a 26-year career.

1963 was the year the Air Force established its own distinctive awards. Prior to that, they used the Army Good Conduct Medal. The Air Force simply added a new ribbon and renamed it.

At one time, aviation cadets qualified for the Good Conduct Medal if they were in cadet status for more than a year and were then commissioned. My guess would be that this is how he qualified, but never got the paperwork done until much, much later. The order would have referred to "Lt Col (then-Aviation Cadet) Bloggs" being awarded the medal.

The story thickens . . . you guys were right, the DD-214 can be full of errors and duplications. My buddy located his Dad's old Army Air Corps uniform. It had a ribbon bar for WW2 1st was the DFC, Air Medal, American Defense! (not mentioned on the DD214) Am. Campaign, Euro, Africa, Mid East Campaign, WW2 victory, Army occupation.

Interesting huh?