News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Parliamentary Guard - Budapest

Gents,

Here is another seldom seen uniform. It is a tunic for the police that guard the Parliament Buildings in Budapest. I know relatively little about these uniforms but I wanted to start a thread on them now and then we can add to it as we become more knowledgable. I know from a book of police badges in my library that the badge on the shoulder of this uniform was worn from the late 40's until the late 90's. The badge shown is the second type. The first type was virtually identical except that the star on the top of the parliament building was composed of straight lines from the centre rather than the star with a red centre as is illustrated here. Note that the tunic has the police crossed rifles on the collars.

This organization still exists but they now wear grey uniforms. They have retained the same red shoulder boards and rank stars.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

The shoulder boards. The stars are different than seen on other Hungarian uniforms. They are plastic with two holes through the centre and are sewn to the shoulder boards rather than attached with prongs as is done with other uniforms.

Once again you astonish and delight me!

By the way-did you know there was a "Old Guard" medal for KISZ members who stayed loyal to the Communists in 1956?

It was awarded at the 1960 conference- @ 150 times.

Ulsterman,

Not sure which medal you are refering to here. There was no KISZ organization until 1957. Before that the national youth organization was called DISZ. Do you have a picture of the medal that you are refering to that you can post? If not, what is the nameof the medal in Hungarian? I'm in Vienna to visit the Heersgeschlickte Museum and do some research so I can not check my books etc.

Cheers,

Gordon

Zsolt,

Thanks for the picture. Can you tell us who this would have been awarded to and why?

Regards,

Gordon

Hi, Gordon!

From Ulsterman's link:

"Those were awarded the KISZ "Sagvari Endre" commemorative medal

"who in 1956 fought the counter-revolution with arms in hand." One

hundred and thirty were "honored" with that medal. ("Nepszabadsag"

15 May 1957.)"

Zsolt