News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi...

If there is one organisation, in my mind, that typifies the 3rd Reich, it is the SA...

And with that thought, here are a few SA 'Gruppe' photo's....I don't know which units they are, but they are prime examples of the larger posed SA photo's...

Primarily, these photo's help to show the vast differences in uniform shades within the standard image of a 'Brownshirt'...

I have one thing to ask....for anyone who wishes to also show their SA images....please, please, only post photo's that you actually own....i.e, not images that have been 'liberated' from other online sources, forums, auction sites, historical sites, books, periodicals, etc, etc....let's see the real deal...the actual photo....

(( I know that some have a reluctance to post photo's...because of 'liberation' by other's....but hey...look at it this way...why collect in the first place?? Are you going to hold onto that photo your entire life and keep it hidden away??? Share it out !!! Blazon your name across it if you so wish.....but let's see some new images.....feel free to brag about how wonderful your photo is smile.gif ))

So with that in mind...here's a particularly proud looking group of fellows....

One thing that's odd here is that most of these men aren't wearing military decorations of any kind. Most SA men, especially in these earlier photos are decked out with Imperial decorations of one-kind or another.

Edited by Andwwils

(( I know that some have a reluctance to post photo's...because of 'liberation' by other's....but hey...look at it this way...why collect in the first place?? Are you going to hold onto that photo your entire life and keep it hidden away??? Share it out !!! Blazon your name across it if you so wish.....but let's see some new images.....feel free to brag about how wonderful your photo is :) ))

I agree with you entirely. I learn more about my images when I share them (after all my interest is in History).

Here is a picture that I have posted before, but fits perfect with your topic.

Instructors from the Luftwaffe (Fallschirmj?ger) and Heer assigned to the IX. Felherrnhalle 1./Sturm in April 1944 (notice the Para Badges, Kreta Cufftitles and of course all the other awards)

Best off all - my father is in this picture -

Hardy

post-1062-1144647615.jpg

Edited by Naxos

...thanks for your support here Hardy...

...and thanks for the interesting photo...I always did like the look of the 'Feldherrnhalle' collar insignia...

...is your father the man marked 'X' ?

Yes, assigned to the Feldherrnhalle for a few weeks as an Instructor. In May 44 he was back with his unit (1./Fallschirm-Panzer-J?ger-Abteilung 1) at Monte Cassino.

Here is another pic withe the Feldherrnhalle Gorget: File0014.jpg

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

...with the vast array of SA uniforms, it would be somewhat costly to have a collection of photo's that covers everything that the SA wore....so with that in mind, I directed my efforts to locating only one particular range of photo's....

...SA musicians...the earlier the image the better...all from many different units, but one thing in common, 'swallowsnests' on the shoulders...

...I'm particularly fond of this image...it's not so easy to see, but he is wearing a musiker 'lyre' collar patch...

..a small grouping of SA musicians...preparing for a recital.....

...note the youthful appearance of the musician, front row, fourth from left, he looks like he would be more at home in the HJ...

...also note that not all of the musicians are wearing 'swallowsnests', or the single epaulette...maybe this was around the time they became part of the new uniform regulations....either way, it again highlights just how varied SA uniforms could be within such a small grouping...

Titled...."if you hum it, we can play it!"

"Von all unsern Kameraden war keiner so lieb und so gut,

als unser Sturmf?hrer Wessel, ein lustiges hakenkreuzlerblut,

als unser Sturmf?hrer Wessel, ein lustiges hakenkreuzlerblut"

Hi Laurens,

I'm not sure I understand your question...I think I would be hard pushed to try and work out - "...if the man at the right has a metal device behind the collar tab?..."

...it's hard enough to try and see the front side...

Hi Laurens,

You ceratinly know what you are looking for! Sharp eyes...

Are you a secret expert on SA uniforms ???

According to "The SA : A Historical Perspective" by Jill Halcomb...

"SA-Sanit?tsf?hrer"

"SA medical students with four clinical semesters wore the insignia of the Gruppe, but behind each collar tab was worn a metal Askulapstab, roughly from 1933 until 1937. Qualified SA doctors with a degree wore collar tabs of their rank in their Gruppe colour. From the ranks of San.-Standartenf?hrer through San.-Obergruppenf?hrer, the Askulapstab was worn behind both tabs. Dentists (Zahnarzt) wore a metal gothic "Z", (think of a wolf-hook rune) and veterinarians (Tierarzt) wore a metal Schlange (serpent). Pharmacists (Apotheker) wore a pair of metal gothic "A" cyphers behind both tabs."

I have enlarged the image as much as I can before detail is lost....and to my mind the insignia looks more like the image of a serpent entwined around a stick, which would mean he is a Vet....

..what do you think?

Hi Clay,

I think it's a docter. I never seen a period picture of a vet, but the insingia looks very much like a docter.

Although the pictures are in B/W it looks like Bayerische Ostmark (Light Blue) Hochland would have the Edelweiss attached. Is it possible to determine some ni=umbers on the collar patches?

Best,

Laurens

Some nice images Claymore. I tend to collect portraits that show badges in wear, I've had a check through my collection & only appear to have 2 that I think qualify as SA (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Here's the first.

Cheers

Don

Hi Laurens,

...hmmm....possibly, possibly....

...does this mean a Doctor wears a 'Askulapstab' = a serpent entwined around a stick...?

...and a Vet wears a 'Schlange' = a serpent on its own....?

...I have enlarged the image as much as possible, but I simply can not make out any numbering at all...

...there is another SA-mann with a similar device in the same photo (not too clear on the image I posted)...

...fourth from left...

...does that look like the same thing ???

...also note the men on each side of him...both are wearing military awards alongside what looks to be like a rally tinnie of some kind...

...and this one...

Guest WAR LORD

The tinnie, is the Nuremburg Party day badge 1933. This was elivated to an award, but under the Nov 1936 regulation removed and placed as a traditions badge.