News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early 57 DKiG By S&L & Some Other 57 Items

Hello

I have just received a couple of 57 items. First up is an early 57 DKiG by Steinhauer und Luck. This came in what appears to be a halbetui style case.

Next the gold version of the 57 Luftwaffe Air Sea Rescue / Reconnaisance clasp, also by S&L. This I think is a mid produced piece, (very late 1960's / early 1970's)

Finally, a complete set of the 57 version of the Luftwaffe Transport clasp in bronze, silver and gold. Again I think these are mid produced pieces, (very late 1960's / early 1970's).

As usual, any comments or observations welcomed.

David

Really like the DKiG! As it shows the same components as the war-time model I would assume it is very early. Do you know if this is the case?

Rich

Hello Richard

I don't know when this DK was made, but from what I do know of the 57 items, it is safe to asume that this type is one of the very first out the factory. I wouldn't date it any later than late 1958, perhaps just into 1959. Yes, it is made with war time parts. For example the back is, I believe, cupal. As far as I can tell the only parts not of war time origin are, obviously, the facsimile of the EK and possibly the round silver back plate under it.

57 version of the Luftwaffe Air Sea Rescue / Reconnaisance clasp in gold

Hi David,

Terrific additions to your collection. But I especially LOVE :love::love: this one! Has just the right amount of that "I've been worn... been there, done that." look to it. If you "ever" want to part with that one please give me a nudge. She's a beaut! :jumping:

Thanks so much for sharing these! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hello

Very nice S&L DKs :beer: On the second one, the rear of the DK has what appear to be circular score marks. I've seen this on a couple of these before but haven't seen an explanation of it. Any ideas what caused it, bearing in mind it can be seen on some of the S&L DKs and not on others?

The wreaths on the two that you have shown here are identical to the one on my 57 version, and looking at the shape etc of the stars from the back and front, they too appear to be identical. The pins, hinges and catches look the same - so all in all apart from yours having a swastika and mine a facsimile of the 57 re-issue EK, I'd say they are exactly the same.

Thanks.

Edited by DavidM

Hello David,

The DKs are not mine, I only had the pieces for a couple of days so I took scans of them.

I'm afraid I have no idea what caused the score marks.

Both of the DKs have been deemed postwar assembled.

Dave

Hello Dave

Given how controversial these S&L DKs are, what are the factors that deem a swastika'd S&L DK to be war time or post war ? When you say that the two you have shown are deemed to be post war assembled, (as opposed to manufactured), this implies that the parts are believed to be war time produced. Would this be correct ?

Edited by DavidM

Hello Dave

Given how controversial these S&L DKs are, what are the factors that deem a swastika'd S&L DK to be war time or post war ? When you say that the two you have shown are deemed to be post war assembled, (as opposed to manufactured), this implies that the parts are believed to be war time produced. Would this be correct ?

Hello David,

I'm sorry but all I know is that the Crosses were sent to Detlev and he said they are postwar, I can't remember if he said assembled or manufactured. :(

Dave