News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Repairing old documents/maps...

I recently saw a poster that was preserved/repaired with what seems to be a sheet of paper on the back. It is not simply a sheet of paper glued on, but is very, very, thin, you have to look three times to see it is there.

Does anyone know the best way to get a map preserved so it does not tear and fall apert?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

I think its called japan paper, something like rice paper. Non acid.

Its applied with a conservertor glue and placed in a Vacuum frame to set up.

We can get stuff like that at several art stores in the states. Not sure if you can find the same in germany.

George

Hi Chris,

I think its called japan paper, something like rice paper. Non acid.

Its applied with a conservertor glue and placed in a Vacuum frame to set up.

We can get stuff like that at several art stores in the states. Not sure if you can find the same in germany.

George

I've done it successfully with rice paper and a thin flour paste. no vacuum frame needed. For small repairs tear, don't cut the rice paper so it has a feather edge.