News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I was the "lucky" fellow to get this bar from Detlev's update this Friday. I bought it because I liked the combination of awards. I also suspected the bar as having belonged to a sanitater/arzt type. Now the rub. In my haste (as we all know how fast items go on the Friday updates), I had no time to research the foreign Red Cross award ( at least thats what I thought it was at the time). I later find out on my own that it is a Rumanian Medical Merit award. I also find after consulting with two of our forum experts ( one who suggested I post my questions here for more opinions) that it is on the war ribbon for a Rumanian type II Crown Order. I suppose my question's are: Have any of our members seen such ribbon mix ups before on foreign awards, as I'm told sometimes happened or feel more that perhaps the Crown order was swapped out?

Kind regards,

Sam K.

just one short question.................is the mentioned RUMANIAN award a ww2 order???

From here, it looks like blue with a silver center stripe and yellowish edge stripes. So the WW2-era war ribbon.

RO_Coroana_ofiter_X_2.jpg

Edited by Dave Danner

just one short question.................is the mentioned RUMANIAN award a ww2 order???

The badge of the Sanitary Merit Medal has remained unchanged during its whole existence, so it is not easy to say whether it was awarded in WWI or WWII. The ribbon on the bar on the other hand is that of a WWII wartime award (with swords) of the Order of the Crown of Romania (the reverse of this order was posted by Dave above).

Hallo Gents, :beer:

with regards this bar I think it would it be safe to assume,

A. The receipiant was at the time of WW1 a member of the German Army and hardely able to qualify for a Romanian Royal award as they were fighting against the Romanians.

B. Post WW1 - Pre WW2 he gets a Romanian and Austrian medical award??

C. If a WW2 award from Romania would a Sanitary Merit Medal have been granted to him as a (combatant) ??

along with the KVK II Class with swords.

D. Or he got the KVK II Class with swords and the Order of the Crown of Romania for services rendered in WW2??

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

A. The receipiant was at the time of WW1 a member of the German Army and hardely able to qualify for a Romanian Royal award as they were fighting against the Romanians.

Had he been a member of the medical staff taking good care of Romanian POW or the civilian population in the occupied territory, he would probably have qualified for the Sanitary Merit Medal after WWI.

C. If a WW2 award from Romania would a Sanitary Merit Medal have been granted to him as a (combatant) ?

For sanitary merits yes. But the ribbon is wrong in this case.

D. Or he got the KVK II Class with swords and the Order of the Crown of Romania for services rendered in WW2??

If he got the Knight's cross of the Order of the Crown of Romania, then it most likely is a WWII award according to the ribbon.

The combination of an Austrian Silberne Ehrenmedaille vom Roten Kreuz mit Kriegsdekoration and a Goldenes Verdienstkreuz mit Krone points to a Feldwebel/Wachtmeister type, so the lack of a long-service medal is odd.

A Romanian order on the other hand would indicate an officer rank during WWII.