News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for reference material on Austrian Awards

I have been collecting Austrian medals from the pre 1938 Anschluss era for sometime as a sideline to my other military interests as I think they have some of the nicest enameled medals. I seem to find it difficult to locate any good reference material for this area of collecting. Is there anything that anyone can suggest? Any help would be appreciated.

Richard V

Guest Rick Research

Superbly illustrated:

by V?clav Mericka, printed in 1974 ISBN 3-7031-0356-6

Hello,

the Mericka is still the most beautiful post-WW2 book on the Austro-Hungarian orders and decorations. Some details are now out-of-date in spite of recent researches but the late dr. Mericka remains one of the greatest experts on the subject, that's perfectly reflected in the text. The splendid illustrations are mostly from the wonderful and huge collection of the late prof. dr. G.Fattovich from Venice, Italy, who was, from the '50s until 1986 when he died, a great collector and a connoisseur.

Another very fine book is the more recent "Oesterreichs Orden", Graz, ADEVA, 1996, with very good texts and illustrations;

In English there is Jos. von Falkenstien (Dan Ragsdale): "Imperial Austrian Medals and Decorations", Tucson, 1972: it is now rare to find (in Europe...) and there are some technical and historical mistakes, but it remains a fine reference book.

About the 1st Republic and other faleristical topics you can visit the library page of the OeGO at http://www.ordenskunde.at/publikationen.html .

Besides the mentioned books and those listed at the webpage, a collector should look for some "classics" like the "von Heyden" or the lavishly illustrated (and expensive, besides rare) huge book of Michetschl?ger: "Das Ordensbuch der gewesenen Oesterreichisch-Ungarischen Monarchie", Vienna, 1919.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Edited by Elmar Lang

Thanks very much guys. This gives me lots to start on! I see several of these are apparently out of print as the prices are on the high side (found the Mericka book suggested by Rick on a website for $400!) I'll have to browse around and see if I can find some of these at a more reasonable price. Hunting for good reference material is sometimes like hunting for good deals on the awards themselves.

Richard V

Edited by Richard V

Guest Rick Research

Ahhhh, time travel! I got "von Falkenstien" (never knew the author's real name BTW-- :beer: ) when it came out back in 1972 for probably something like $4 new. Probably included shipping too. :rolleyes:

Always buy every new reference books. That way you get to go

:P

35 years later! :cat:

Richard,

the Michetschl?ger book which Enzo mentions above - "Das Ordensbuch der gewesenen Oesterreichisch-Ungarischen Monarchie" is availabla as a reprint albeit in a reduced size but much cheaper! Available for 79 Eurines from Berliner Zinnfiguren. Here is part of a sample page.

Regards

Glenn

Hello,

yes, I've forgotten to mention that the Michetschl?ger exists as a reprint, although reduced in size. Many years ago, I've dangerously damaged my student's bank account, buying the original edition at an auction in Vienna... but it was worth the fear!...

Best wishes,

Enzo

Dear Richard,

if you are looking for a comprehensive reference book about the 1st Republic, then Prof. G?nter Erik Schmidt's book "Ehrenzeichen und Orden im ?sterreich der Zwischenkriegszeit 1918-1938" (189 pages) would be the right one.

MGM M?nzgalerie M?nchen offers a copy for only EUR 48,- http://www.muenzgalerie.de/kataloge/pdfs/n...eratur_2006.pdf

Best regards :beer:

Christian

I have been collecting Austrian medals from the pre 1938 Anschluss era for sometime as a sideline to my other military interests as I think they have some of the nicest enameled medals. I seem to find it difficult to locate any good reference material for this area of collecting. Is there anything that anyone can suggest? Any help would be appreciated.

Richard V

Dear Richard,

if you are looking for a comprehensive reference book about the 1st Republic, then Prof. G?nter Erik Schmidt's book "Ehrenzeichen und Orden im ?sterreich der Zwischenkriegszeit 1918-1938" (189 pages) would be the right one.

MGM M?nzgalerie M?nchen offers a copy for only EUR 48,- http://www.muenzgalerie.de/kataloge/pdfs/n...eratur_2006.pdf

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Hi Christian, thank you for the information. Since this will be my first Austrian reference purchase, I want to buy the most comprehensive book I can that covers as large a time span as possible. If I become more specialized, I would then try to focus on more limited time periods. I do appreciate your letting me know about this volume though.

Richard V

Hello,

I don't think that there would exist a reference book covering the whole period from the Holy Roman Empire until the Anschlu?, except some price-catalogues: the old Neubecker-Nimmergut: "Oesterreich Katalog - Orden und Ehrenzeichen ab 1430 bis zur Gegenwart" (1978); the Steiner: "Orden und Ehrenzeichen der ?sterreichisch-ungarischen Monarchie" (1992; no Austrian Republic, though) and the Marko: "Auszeichnungen der Oesterreichisch-Ungarischen Monarchie und der Zwischenkriegszeit" (1997). The first one gives a simple listing-prices-b/w-illustrations, while the other two, besides the of course out-of-date "market prices" give some useful details about ribbons, number awarded, variations, etc.; in any case, none of the three volumes can be considered as "reference books".

As mentioned in my preceeding post, a good thing is to pay a visit to the webpage of the "Oesterreichische Gesellschaft f?r Ordenskunde" ( www.ordenskunde.at ) and search through the publications' page.

It is also a good idea to search through the websites of bookstores and numismatists.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Enzo, thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific. The book I'll try to get (probably the one that Rick listed if I can find one a bit better price wise than the one I saw for $400) I would like to cover the Imperial awards from say the mid 19th century to 1938. I think that would be good for my situation as I don't think I'll be looking for awards prior to that time.

Richard V

Hello,

yes, the Mericka was an expensive book since when it was normally available at bookstores. Anyways, I think that $400.- should be considered a "top price" for it now.

I think that the cheaper (in price, but with very fine text and plates) "Oesterreichs Orden" would be ok also.

Sometimes, the Mericka appears for sale on the austrian branch of eBay.

Best wishes,

Enzo