News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Gents

In my data I have a recipient of the Knightscross CHGL 13.02.1849 as : k?niglich preussischen Major von Sch?ler vom Kriegsministerium (no first name given ofcourse, that would be to easy)....

I was hoping that it will turn out to be one of the generals mentioned in Priesdorff, because that would make researching his career a lot easier.

From the online index of Priesdorff:

Schoeler, Alexander Viktor Ernst von Bd. 7,237 2268

Schoeler, August Wilhelm Karl Daniel Alexander von Bd. 6,488 2108

Schoeler, Friedrich August Alexander Felix Julius Andreas Alfred von Bd.10,313 3234

Schoeler, Friedrich Ludwig Robert Johann von Bd. 6,363 1987

Schoeler, Johann Friedrich Wilhelm von Bd. 3,62 976

Schoeler, Ludwig Johann Wilhelm August von Bd. 6,319 1940

Schoeler, Moritz Ludwig Wilhelm von Bd. 4,225 1299

Schoeler, Reinhold Otto Friedrich August von Bd. 4,197 1289

My guess is he is either from Band 7 or 10, judging from the fact he is (only) a major in 1849, but I am not sure and cannot check that. I hope one of you will help me out here.

So what I am looking for is at least the date of birth an death of the von Schoeler mentioned in my data.

Hope you can help me out here.

many thanks!!

David

David,

I checked Prie?dorff. There were two or three possibilities who were Majors in 1849 but not all decorations are listed. We need to check an 1850 Rang- und Quartier-Liste ( I do not have one) to narrow it down.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn

Thanks so much for checking!

does it state if one of the 3 served in the Kriegsministerium? The list I have is from 1851 and there it says Major von Schoeler von Kriegsministerium. I don't know if there is specific info like that in Priesdorf on Kriegsministerium service, but that is what I have.

So I guess I should be looking for someone with a 1850 ranklist....

regards

David

David,

I checked Prie?dorff. There were two or three possibilities who were Majors in 1849 but not all decorations are listed. We need to check an 1850 Rang- und Quartier-Liste ( I do not have one) to narrow it down.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by David M

I don't have any 1850s rank lists handy, but in 1846 there were:

• Maj. von Sch?ler, Fl?geladjutant of the King: RAO4, DA, AAB3, BrHL3, RG5
    • Maj. von Sch?ler on the General Staff of VIII Corps: RAO4, Johanniter, DA and RA3
    • Rittm. von Sch?ler of the 7th Curassiers: DA, RW4
    • Prem.Lt. von Sch?ler, Kaiser Franz Grenadier Regiment: no decorations
    Maybe this will help narrow it down. Edited by Dave Danner

Hi Dave

because of his other foreign decorations I would say number 1. However 1849 was a turbulent year, so any of the other von Sch?lers could be in a position to earn a CHGL4 by then I guess..... But at least we know there are only 4 von Sch?lers around that time, which is surely helpfull. Would there be an 1850/1860 ish ranklist in your collection as well? Maybe accounts in such a list would be comparable to Priesdorf and maybe the lists does mention all the foreign awards.

I don't have any 1850s rank lists handy, but in 1846 there were:
    • Maj. von Sch?ler, Fl?geladjutant of the King: RAO4, DA, AAB3, BrHL3, RG5
    • Maj. von Sch?ler on the General Staff of VIII Corps: RAO4, Johanniter, DA and RA3
    • Rittm. von Sch?ler of the 7th Curassiers: DA, RW4
    • Prem.Lt. von Sch?ler, Kaiser Franz Grenadier Regiment: no decorations
    Maybe this will help narrow it down.

I think I know someone who might help me out. He has ranklists ranging from 1848-1918, but is is not available at the moment. I will keep you posted on my progress, which will probably be no sooner than end August.

regards and many thanks for your help

David

I think I know someone who might help me out. He has ranklists ranging from 1848-1918, but is is not available at the moment. I will keep you posted on my progress, which will probably be no sooner than end August.

regards and many thanks for your help

David

I have access to practically every ranklist with a few days' notice. I just have to request them from the New York Public Library, which has them in offsite storage, so it takes 2 days or so for the library to retrieve the book.