News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

It's steel, right? Except for that catch, identical to one I got out of a hoard from Maryland in the early 1970s. :beer:

It's steel, right? Except for that catch, identical to one I got out of a hoard from Maryland in the early 1970s. :beer:

Yep. Let's see yours Rick. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

As a follow up to the silver badge here is a recent pickup- a black one with the same reverse setup. This style setup is attributed to GWL and can be found on thier WW2 PABs and GABs.

Hi Don, I have just received recently my naval wound badge in black, but after looking at your photos of both your black and silver ones, and looking at mine, I am beginning to think mine is a fake. Would all naval blacks have had the same pin set-up on the rear? The hinge or whatever you call it on mine is right at the top, rather than down a bit like on yours. The swords look different, the links in the chain aren't as pronounced, and the swords on mine are pointing to the flat chain link rather than the side facing link like on yours. It also feels like my regular Imperial black wound badge, it doesn't feel like steel. I'll post a photo when I take some shortly, but I've noticed a lot of small differences and I'm certainly no expert! Or could different manufacturers have slight differences? It was sold to me with a money back guarentee, so I'm not worried that I'll never see my money again if I am not satisfied with it, but judging by your photos, it does appear to have a lot of small differences. Thanks!

Now I have a question. Who would have earned a naval wound badge? I know the guys on ships but what about the Marinekorps Flandern and naval aviation guys?

Guest Rick Research

The only documented one I have ever seen was in a group to a Sea Battalion reserve officer captured at Tsingtau in China. I've seen a couple of the "late" 1918 awards-- the 1936+ documents with "Army/Navy" to be struck out on the generic form but while those have said the naval version, all they show are current civilian occupations so no help ID'ing what the recipient actually was during the war.

1919-21 naval Freikorps recipients wore the 1918 army version.

The documents are so incredibly ... nonexistent ... that I have always GUESSED that the Marinekorps recipients must have had the army version. It think most of the badges themselves must have come from never sold left over military effects dealers' stock. Mine must have been posted someplace, but here it is again:

I think I paid something like $3.75 for this in the early 1970s. In those happier, simpler times, the dealer sent a batch of stuff in a metal tea canister with all three classes and my first reference batch of never used ribbon bar-sized ribbon lengths. At the time $3.75 was a fairly big deal (2 hours pay, kiddies) and I figured the black class was no big deal and the gold ones looked icky. The hinges and catchs were attached randomly on all the backs of the badges-- hand work. All of them were steel, and all the silvers and golds had this rather icky "radiator paint" type finish. Tthey were obviously never worn by anybody, and this is just storage wear (and bumping around in tea canisters! :rolleyes: ). What looks in the scan like "blacK' underneath is the steel, which scans that way in contrast to the bright metallic paint finish.

• 1 year later...