News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EU - Border Assistance Mission Medal.

On 15 November 2005, Israel and the Palestinian Authority concluded an "Agreement on Movement and Access", including agreed principles for Rafah crossing (Gaza).

On 21 November 2005, the Council of the EU welcomed the Agreement and agreed that the EU should undertake the Third Party role proposed in the Agreement. It therefore decided to launch the EU Border Assistance Mission at Rafah crossing point, code-named EU BAM Rafah, to monitor the operations of this border crossing point.

The operational phase of the Mission began on 30 November 2005 and will have a duration of 12 months.

On 24 May 2007 the Council adopted, by written procedure, a joint action extending for a year, until 24 May 2008, the mandate of the mission.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

• 4 months later...

Hello Leigh,

There are two possible ribbons for this medal : the yellow striped one for Headquarters and Forces, the white striped one for Planning and Support. I agree the designer had a bad off-day when submitting that but what about those that in the end approved it ? Cheapness must have been the main concern :mad:

Cheers,

Hendrik

It's such a pity, you would have thought that an organisation which can draw on the historical, artistic & financial resources of so many nations could come up with something better. Looks like something handed out at kids sports days, just get your own name engraved on the back if you want. Oh no, in fact that's the front, so that big blank area's not for your name.

To me, it appears that there's no real appreciation by authority of the men & women who earn these things, just a kind of "Heck, I suppose we'd better produce a medal" attitude.

If we've got to have one then I suppose we'd better make it a bland "Euro" themed thing that won't offend anyone or appear to glorify war or anything like that.

I suppose the EU will get involved in more ventures that require a medal, I wonder how the theme will develop, different designs of medal, or just different ribbons, even worse, the same medal & ribbon with a lengthening ribbon as more clasps or bars are added.

I nominate this medal for the most bland medal thread!!!!

What were they thinking really!!

I have seen Euro coins that look better than that!!!!

And its true that sometimes politics dictate otherwise - as leigh mentioned - let's not glorify war. But then again, lets show respect to those who put their lives on the line for others.

This is a cheap looking and cheaply produced medal that does no honour to its recipients.

Jim