News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Matrosenartillerie uniform

Hi Gents

I am looking for a picture of a uniformed Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie. I know it is a bit specific but have not been able to find something similar on the internet yet. My greatgrandfathers cousin was a pilot athe SFA in Varna during WWI. His full career (from the WAST)

Wilhelm Albert Karl August M?ldner, geboren Berlin 07.11.1887, gestorben Luftwaffelazarett Halle-D?lau 04.11.1942.

24.09.1915 Seefliegerabzeichen,

25.05.1916 Bulgarian Tapferkeitskreuz IV. Klasse (do I read this one right? what does it look like?)

04.06.1916 Eiserne Kreuze II.

02.09.1916 Osmanischer Kriegsmedaillen (would love to see a picture of this one!)

02.09.1916 Bulgarian Militair Verdienst Kreuz (a picture of this one anyone?)

23.07.1917 Eiserne Kreuze I. Klasse,

23.03.1918 Bulgarian Seeflieger Abzeichen (a picture of this one?)

23.03.1918 Osmanischer Halbmond (which I guess is the read star like equivalent of the EKI, right?)

22.08.1914 Diensteintritt im Freiwillige Marine Flieger Korps (Berlin-Johannisthal), II Seeflieger-Abteilung (SFA): 31.07.1915 Obermatrose, dann Bootmannsmaat, 11.1915 Flugmaat, 06.11.1915-03.12.1915 Seeflieger-Station (SFS) Borkum, wo er mit dem Friedrichshafen FF 29a (Seeaufkl?rer) Nummer 419 flog, 23.01.1916-12.10.1916 und 01.05.1917-16.06.1917 I. SFA: SFS Varna (Bulgarien), hier war er Flugzeugf?hrer der Friedrichshafen FF 33e (Seeaufkl?rer), Nummer 507, 529, 530, 723, 738, 780, 835, 861 und 862, 04.07.1916 Vizeflugmeister, 24.05.1917H Leutnant der Reserve der Matrosenartillerie, 15.09.1917-03.1918 II. Adjutant der Stab der I. SFA (Kiel-Holtenau), 30.04.1918 zur Dienstleistung bei der Kommandeur der Flieger des Marine Korps Flandern (KoFl) commandirt (Zeebr?gge, Belgien), 06.05.1918 unter Enthebung von dem Commando zur Dienstleistung bei der KoFl, zur Verf?gung der Marine Flugchef (Berlin) vom 25.08.1918-25.09.1918 Reservelazarett Bad Nauheim (Erkrankung), dann bis Kriegsende zur Verf?gung der Marine Flugchef (Berlin), 21.01.1920 ausser Dienst. Dienstzeit bei der Luftwaffe

30.09.1935-28.10.1935 Fliegerhorstkommandantur Perleberg (?bung), Anfangsdatum nicht vermerkt-04.11.1942 1. Flieger-Waffentechnische Schule I, Halle an der Saale.

So most specifically I am actually looking for just a picture of any of the uniforms Wilhelm would have worn at some point in his career (will also post this on the IIIrd Reich forum for his final years)

From his Wehrpass, which I received today, I added some data. I hope you will be so kind to help me out in finding pictures of the ODM's I dont know what they look like.

Thanks again

David

Edited by David M

Guest Rick Research

The entries from 2.9.16 and 23.3.18 are the same thing. Turkish War Medal (star) aka Iron Half Moon (to the Germans) and Gallipoli Star (to the British) =

The above being the common "BB&Co" type most often found in German groups.

I suspect the second award, going up the Ottoman awards ladder, would have been a Liakat Medal in Silver with sabers bar, but with the incorrect entry cannot say without seeing a photo of him wearing ribbons.

25.5.16 the Bulgarian Soldiers' Cross for Bravery 4th Class is this rather sad looking little "squeezed" looking object:

sorry for the tiny scans, but these are old ones already made. The originals are actually smaller than this.

Again, garbled incorrect entry possible for the second Bulgarian award. It MIGHT have been a Military Merit Cross X for NCOs or... something else.

• 3 years later...

I looked over this old thread of mine but cannot shake loos the idea why there should be 2 entries for the same medal (according to Rick R.) The Gallipoli Star would have been the same as the osmanische Kriegsmedaille? Are there not any alternatives?

regards

David

• 1 month later...

I looked over this old thread of mine but cannot shake loos the idea why there should be 2 entries for the same medal (according to Rick R.) The Gallipoli Star would have been the same as the osmanische Kriegsmedaille? Are there not any alternatives?

regards

David

Hallo David;

Rick R. suggests that the "second" Osmanische award may be the Silver Liakat Medal w/swords but without the ribbon bar or medal bar it would be hard to confirm. Another possible identification source may be your great-grandfather cousin's Militarpass or the actual award documents.

I know of no known instances of the "Gallipoli Star" or Halbmond being awarded twice. The other Turkish War Medal is just that...another Turkish war medal. The administrative person who recorded the awards for this gentleman may not have been knowledgeable of what it was either and merely noted it as an "Osmanische Kriegsmedaille".

(I have a Naval group where the gentleman earned both the Halbmond Star and a Silver Liakat Medal w/swords for his medal bar.)

• 7 months later...